Synopsis
Psychopaths…they’ll charm you, manipulate you, then ruin your life. But, not all of them with a gun or a knife. In this extra-ordinary documentary, suspected psychopath Sam Vaknin goes in search of a diagnosis…was he born without a conscience?
Suspected Psychopath Sam Vaknin
“Making a movie with a psychopath,” declares I, Psychopath’s director Ian Walker, “is a little like poking a snake with a stick.” Unwittingly, the film-maker becomes a textbook victim. Joined by Vaknin’s long-suffering but ever-loyal wife Lidija, the threesome embark on a diagnostic road trip to the world’s top experts in psychopathy in which Vaknin (and his wife) undergo a battery of rigorous psychological tests and neuroscientific experiments. He is the world’s first civilian to willingly seek a diagnosis for psychopathy.
Director Ian Walker after two weeks on the road with Sam
The former corporate criminal turns out to be a way better psychopath than any of them imagined. By the end, Walker almost calls it quits on his own film rather than spend another day with its main subject.

I love this Laura. I laughed so hard when I first read the tagline under the title of this movie, I was brought to tears. "I, Psychopath...making a movie with a psychopath is a bit like poking a snake with a stick"
ReplyDeleteI spent at least two solid months poking my "N" snake with a stick and because of all I have read since, all the pathology I digested, I now understand "N" so well. I have to share with you that there was some satisfaction derived after the fact in poking him with that stick when my study revealed that my poking (he had no way to respond) would have caused him yet another narcissistic injury. Not that it was my intention or goal to do so. I had no motive such as revenge, however I shared how angry and disgusted I was with his behavior. I guess in fact it ended up being therapeutic for me realizing after the fact just what I had done.
I love the tagline...it rings so very true. LOL
Doing anything with a psychopath is like poking a snake with a stick. My rotten luck, I wound up in a nest of vipers. The more I learn, the more certain I am that not only were Earl and his Mom Psychopaths but his father too. Also the more I learn the more certain I am that the only safe way to deal with this kind of people is not to be anywhere near them.
ReplyDeleteHaven't tried it yet myself - but apparently you can watch it online here:
ReplyDeletehttp://topdocumentaryfilms.com/i-psychopath/
That was sobering...chilling...depressing...a journey backward for 42 minutes. Fortunately, when it was over and after what seems to be the ritual brain, heart and soul shower, I soared back to here and now...other than a stubborn feeling of cold and shivering. Tomorrow will be a warmer day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura for posting it where I would see it. I have done so well at releasing my experience...or perhaps I should say, the physical and psychological and emotional sensations of my experience that I had forgotten the gravity and magnitude of the toxic negativeness I had been drug into.
Thank heavens for you. Hugs!
I don't know how you did it for so long Laura. You are strong! Far stronger than I. I'm a rabbit...first sign of any danger of being trapped in something so negative I run. A rabbit has a half a dozen hidden exits from their borrows in the case that they have to elude an invader. I am in awe of you Laura. I'm damaged after such a short year and a half of courtship and only five weeks of cohabitation. My gawd you have so much to cleanse yourself of. You are a brave girl! Hugs
ReplyDeleteIt's not a good day after watching the documentary last night. I have returned to a place of fear and negativeness and a rememberance of pain. I guess it is necessary to be aware that although I have come up out of that very bad place, it indeed has marked me.
ReplyDeleteI could feel Lydia as she watched him devalue her, degrade her. I could feel the numbing. Why in gawd's name does she stay in that? I experienced that for perhaps a week or two and couldn't bear the emptiness, the shock to my psyche, to my emotions. It was as though I had fallen 3000 feet to the ground and I lay there with the wind knocked out of me. If invited, I might trade my soul to wash away the horrific feeling of that memory.
ReplyDeleteOk...I feel better...I just bought myself an Ed Hardy handbag online! LOL...at least I don't resort to drugs, drinking or over eating to sooth my pain! (chuckling at me)
ReplyDeleteThank you Laura for putting the film at. As you know at first is hurled me back into a very negative, numb and humiliating place. But as the day has progressed I have put it all in perspective and feel now that viewing that was an important exercise. It allowed me to be cognitive of just how far I have come and how quickly I recovered my ground. Can't wait to hear how your day went! Thank you! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete