October 16, 2009
Why Me? - Why You?
I can't imagine any survivor of an N/S not repeatedly asking themselves, "Why me?" People ask this question after surviving all sorts of trauma. Some trauma, like a car accident, have no real reason and many turn to their spiritual beliefs for answers. But no matter where it comes from the answer to this question is central for recovery and for understanding why we are not to blame for what happened.
In the case of surviving an N/S, getting to the answer is a long and complex process. The good news is that unlike an accident there is a tangible reason why your N/S chose you. I don't believe it can be easily gleaned in the beginning of recovery. Only this week, over a year after leaving It, have I finally figured out why my ex N/S chose me. This revelation has been extraordinarily liberating. This post is about that discovery, but it's not an easy thing to articulate so bear with me...
In conjunction with therapy I've been reading Robert Hare's book "Without a Conscience". Although it primarily relies on extreme cases of sociopathy such as serial killers and known felons, it does offer great insight into how the minds of narcissists and sociopaths who manage to stay below the radar work. This book, in conjunction with all of my research has helped me draw some conclusions that resemble a kind of closure.
In tandem with my research I've been watching the Showtime series "Dexter", which is also about a sociopathic serial killer. Most people find the act(s) of murder and physical violence to be the most upsetting and scary aspects of sociopathic serial killers. For me what is the most frightening is the fact that these people are so extraordinarily adept at mimicking empathy, love and emotion that, until they are exposed, they are able to function (often at high levels) as upstanding, well-liked individuals.
I recently watched an episode of Dexter (All in the Family) in which he proposes to his pregnant girlfriend.
What is so scary about this scene isn't what's happening. It's what came before it -- the way Dexter figures out how to get Rita to say yes to his proposal after previously refusing. He realizes that he's missing something. By watching the emotions, actions and reactions of others he tries several new approaches. Eventually he figures out what works. The entire episode is underscored with his description of other characters' choices as merely roles they play. He is unable to comprehend their emotions or needs, yet he absorbs roles in a very deliberate and calculated way in order to appear normal.
During the last session with my therapist we uncovered the most probable reason my ex N/S chose me. I believe that coupled with my strength and feminist beliefs (which as a profound misogynist It is fascinated with) It chose me because of my propensity to react to situations in an unusually emotional yet critical and analytical way. These characteristics were like none It had come across before and It needed to add them to Its arsenal of "emotions" and responses.
I now understand how It was able to be so good at doing the "right" things during emotionally difficult times AND why It was able to do so without blinking an eye or fumbling in any way. All Its "right" actions are scripted from previous experience. What I find horrifying is that I was unable to recognize that there was nothing real about what seemed so real and that I know I can be duped again.
Because it was something that we shared, one of my biggest triggers was any song by the Dave Matthews Band. I've since found a way to reclaim them -- a feat I am very proud of. Along with the revelations of how sociopaths learn and hone their craft I realized that It "loves" Dave Matthews for the very same reason it "loves" anyone. Matthews, whose lyrics and music are extremely emotional, teach It how to ACT like it loves, feels, and has passion for other human beings. It's the same reason it "enjoys" emotionally laden films and television as well. At the time I thought it was refreshing to have a man who liked chick-flicks, but what I didn't realize is that It likes them for what It can learn from them.
It will always choose Its next victim based on her ability to teach It about what It is lacking. I, like Its other ex-girlfriends, was discarded after nothing more could be learned and nothing else could be gained. I was bled dry and used up. Time to move on... Unfortunately Its ex-wife won't be as lucky. She will always have a purpose and will always provide lessons for It in terms of parenting and kindness (which she feels forced to show It for the benefit of their son.) Its latest victim, no matter what she has to offer, is still whirling in charmed delight, but it's only a matter of time until she is bled dry, used up and discarded.
A friend and fellow survivor (H.C.) has repeatedly stressed that she and I are the lucky ones. Lucky to be free and to be able to feel real emotion. She is right.
Love and hugs, Laura
In the case of surviving an N/S, getting to the answer is a long and complex process. The good news is that unlike an accident there is a tangible reason why your N/S chose you. I don't believe it can be easily gleaned in the beginning of recovery. Only this week, over a year after leaving It, have I finally figured out why my ex N/S chose me. This revelation has been extraordinarily liberating. This post is about that discovery, but it's not an easy thing to articulate so bear with me...
In conjunction with therapy I've been reading Robert Hare's book "Without a Conscience". Although it primarily relies on extreme cases of sociopathy such as serial killers and known felons, it does offer great insight into how the minds of narcissists and sociopaths who manage to stay below the radar work. This book, in conjunction with all of my research has helped me draw some conclusions that resemble a kind of closure.
In tandem with my research I've been watching the Showtime series "Dexter", which is also about a sociopathic serial killer. Most people find the act(s) of murder and physical violence to be the most upsetting and scary aspects of sociopathic serial killers. For me what is the most frightening is the fact that these people are so extraordinarily adept at mimicking empathy, love and emotion that, until they are exposed, they are able to function (often at high levels) as upstanding, well-liked individuals.
I recently watched an episode of Dexter (All in the Family) in which he proposes to his pregnant girlfriend.
What is so scary about this scene isn't what's happening. It's what came before it -- the way Dexter figures out how to get Rita to say yes to his proposal after previously refusing. He realizes that he's missing something. By watching the emotions, actions and reactions of others he tries several new approaches. Eventually he figures out what works. The entire episode is underscored with his description of other characters' choices as merely roles they play. He is unable to comprehend their emotions or needs, yet he absorbs roles in a very deliberate and calculated way in order to appear normal.
During the last session with my therapist we uncovered the most probable reason my ex N/S chose me. I believe that coupled with my strength and feminist beliefs (which as a profound misogynist It is fascinated with) It chose me because of my propensity to react to situations in an unusually emotional yet critical and analytical way. These characteristics were like none It had come across before and It needed to add them to Its arsenal of "emotions" and responses.
I now understand how It was able to be so good at doing the "right" things during emotionally difficult times AND why It was able to do so without blinking an eye or fumbling in any way. All Its "right" actions are scripted from previous experience. What I find horrifying is that I was unable to recognize that there was nothing real about what seemed so real and that I know I can be duped again.
Because it was something that we shared, one of my biggest triggers was any song by the Dave Matthews Band. I've since found a way to reclaim them -- a feat I am very proud of. Along with the revelations of how sociopaths learn and hone their craft I realized that It "loves" Dave Matthews for the very same reason it "loves" anyone. Matthews, whose lyrics and music are extremely emotional, teach It how to ACT like it loves, feels, and has passion for other human beings. It's the same reason it "enjoys" emotionally laden films and television as well. At the time I thought it was refreshing to have a man who liked chick-flicks, but what I didn't realize is that It likes them for what It can learn from them.
It will always choose Its next victim based on her ability to teach It about what It is lacking. I, like Its other ex-girlfriends, was discarded after nothing more could be learned and nothing else could be gained. I was bled dry and used up. Time to move on... Unfortunately Its ex-wife won't be as lucky. She will always have a purpose and will always provide lessons for It in terms of parenting and kindness (which she feels forced to show It for the benefit of their son.) Its latest victim, no matter what she has to offer, is still whirling in charmed delight, but it's only a matter of time until she is bled dry, used up and discarded.
A friend and fellow survivor (H.C.) has repeatedly stressed that she and I are the lucky ones. Lucky to be free and to be able to feel real emotion. She is right.
Love and hugs, Laura
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You are so right Laura. There is no one type who is victimized by extremely disordered and empty humanoids.
ReplyDeleteI have a propensity to react to situations with a collected, subdued emotional reaction in lieu of analysis, giving the benefit of the doubt first, but I never got much past the beginning stage of this relationship before I began to suspect something was not quite right. I couldn't, however, identify what it was exactly because he is an accomplished award wining pathological liar.
That is the nuts and bolts of these people Laura. They are highly accomplished actors out of necessity. We are mirrors for them. They see the character they are playing become real in our reactions to their performances and in our responding emotions and it motivates them and pleases them that they are so accomplished. We are their credibility. That reflection of themselves in our reactions and emotions inspires them to assess their ability to manipulate us so easily, as worthy of worship. They have been practicing all of their lives. They truly feel special. It is all a performance and necessary for them to exist or they would wither away because they are just actors and they are not real and they know it! They are voids. We are the blood flowing through their veins…our reactions, our display of emotions, of approval, of love…bring the character…the role they play...to life.
When we catch on...when we smell a rat...when we realize something is not right and the reflection they see in us begins to appear cloudy they have to immediately find other sources to keep the reflection, the one worthy of worship, alive. The reactions and emotions reflected back at them from their mirrors MUST be positive or they will die, because in fact, WE give them life. It's just that black and white for them. And yes, they leave us for new sources and we are left to feel discarded, because for us it was real...it was not a performance, it was real.
What is so vital Laura is that although it is for us….this is not personal to them…it's a business arrangement…"you make me feel like a real human being, like someone worth worshiping, worth adoring, and I'll give you what I have learned (by studying you) pleases you." It is NOT personal.
You see Laura…we ARE the lucky ones. We are REAL. That which lives inside of us…the love, the compassion, the sorrow, the pain, the joy, the energy…it is all us. We need NO ONE to validate us because we are REAL…the spirit that lives inside us is whole and real and alive with or without anyone around. We are the lucky ones indeed!
I'm so happy we are walking this journey together Laura! I am so happy you are coming out from behind the curtains he closed on you! Love and hugs! Heather
Laura...there is so absolute correlation between the books I have been studying and my own experience. I have learned sooooo much. Here is yet another example that what I have learned is the truth. A very close male relative of his said to me just several weeks after I began the trial live-in relationship, "Heather, I have never seen him so alive in a long time...he has a spring in his step....he has come to life again....you are so good for him." And Laura I was, just as long as my reflection of him, to him, remained positive...I gave his character credibility in my reactions to him...I gave his character life.
ReplyDeleteLove and hugs and I am so impressed with your lunge forward back to yourself! Heather
They do not "love"…they "need". We do not "need"….we "love". They have no choice….we are free to choose. We are indeed the lucky ones Laura and as each day goes by since I found your blog and as each book you recommended is studied and digested I realize more and more just how very lucky we are. What a wonderful friend I have found to share this wonderful journey with! What was so sad and so painful is becoming exciting and liberating because of you. Love and Hugs!
ReplyDeleteSo you are absolutely right Laura...they use us and they discard us, but it is not because we are not worthy human beings, it is because we, as humans, do not exist in their minds. That is, we are nothing more than mirrors to be used by them to admire their perfect reflection and when, we, the mirrors begin to cloud (because every human being knows no one is perfect) and they can no longer see the image of themselves as a perfect human being in us, we are discarded and they seek out another mirror.
ReplyDeleteThere is a silver lining in this (as my most wonderful and compassionate and tolerant and loving mother would say if she was here today) and that is, I do have feelings, I am imperfect, I can make bad decisions sometimes, I can display anger, I can say the wrong thing, I can be grumpy and happy, I have friends I have had for all of my life and I have friends I have been blessed with along the way....and I'm ok with that. As a matter of fact, I'm thrilled about that because I am a real human being and I exist even in the absence of admirers. How lucky am I? Hugs!
I'm a huge Dexter fan myself, though it makes me squirm in my seat sometimes. It's impossible to imagine someone calculating the appropriate response to get another person to react the way they want them to react!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that MIND-BLOWING?
I would think that having a show like Dexter on television would at least open people's minds and get them to realize that people like this exist. They aren't necessarily serial killers but we ought not ignore the dangerous potential narcissists have to harm other people without restraint.
The more pathological the narcissist might be, the more psychopathic traits they'll exhibit. Since most people do not have a proper diagnosis, it's important to 'err' on the side of caution. If someone manipulates, coerces, is emotionally distanced enough and sees other people as objects, then they are capable of things we might not even imagine.
I kinda hate and love the show Dexter, though. It's educational for those of us who were so naive as to believe everyone acted in Good Will towards others but gosh...it will be hard to trust another person who displays any 'narcissistic traits' (which most of us do, from time-to-time).
Good post, Laura. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts today!
Hugs,
CZBZ