November 14, 2009

Why We Minimize the Damage: The need to feel safe

This post has been modified. Please see above.

3 comments:

  1. Your Sister-In-It is indeed suffering denial. It is her armour having to share an offspring with It. Her denial is necessary to justify allowing It in her life.

    Everything you are suffering is real and the reason's are real. I believe with all of my heart you were possessed by a malignant narcissist...with goes further than just a narcissist with the addition of the inability to comprehend that there are other's but he in the world...to feel empathy or to even feel a bond beyond your usefulness.

    Hang in there Laura and NEVER lose faith. I believe with all my heart you will finally be able to let this go...and that all of the horrendous memories will fade. Keep on going, you will make it to the other side.

    And in the meantime...if you need someone to care deeply and who knows exactly the nightmare you were thrust into by a pathological liar...I will always be here for you. My road is so much shorter than yours. I am so very, very lucky to have had you to teach me the pathology and show my the where the exit is. Hugs 'n Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I wholly and without reservation agree that our fear can be and often is a gift. But not for my fear of what I saw unfolding before me that was in direct opposition to all I had previously experienced, I might still be locked in the grips of the "N". My natural fear told me, no one can be that different, so quickly upon believing they had me cornered.

    You are a wise woman Laura Kamienski and you will not only prevail, but you will bring your experience and vital lesson in all aspects of self defense to the world! I truly, truly believe that. I would never have made this spiritual, emotional and intellectual journey so quickly without you. The environmental ramifications are mine to heal. Hugs 'n Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Her response was that she wouldn't be interested in anything that required her to think about narcissists for that long."

    I've heard this comment, too, Laura. In the beginning of my 'healing work', I questioned my motivation for studying NPD. Was I immersing myself in negativity because I needed to blame someone else for the demise of my relationship?

    I heard all kinds of things from concerned people who just wanted the Old CZBZ back. The woman who used to be happy and fun and rather funny.

    I wanted the old 'me' back too and that meant avoiding Positive Thinking (re: denial).

    My tolerance for grief and mourning is pretty high, though. I can dig into a 'feeling' and stick with it until every smidgeon is validated and processed. I don't want to revisit old stuff 'til the day i die. Better to jump in with both feet and understand as much as a human brain can learn about NPD, narcissism, sociopathy and "healing".

    I wanted to make one more point worth considering (I hope!) and that is that narcissistic people are unable to tolerate deep grief because it triggers so many overwhelming emotions they are ill-equipped to process.

    Some people heal in 'stages'. The psyche defends them against pain that is too much to bear all at once.

    Narcissists lack the capacity for soulful mourning which means they put on a happy face and move forward, leaving unresolved problems in their past.

    Thanks for the links to LoveFraud...I've been doing a lot of thinking about our Positive Thinking attitude these days and how it might be a 'mask' for denial or other defenses protecting people from Reality.

    The only real protection we have is Facing Reality...not lying to ourselves so we feel better.

    Great entry today...thank you!

    Hugs,
    CZBZ

    ReplyDelete