Recently I started rewatching the new Battlestar Galactica (BSG) series. I really love(d) this series during the three phases of my life - Before It (BI), During It (DI) and After It (AI). Each phase has brought a new appreciation for the sheer brilliance of the series.I've always been a huge sci-fi fan ever since I first stepped on the bridge of Kirk's Enterprise, so my becoming a BSG geek was no surprise to anyone. It has all the right stuff, cool technology (in this instance a kind of retro steam-punk variety) great "aliens" and human heroes.
BI I was especially drawn to the treatment of women in the show, which is unprecedented on many levels save the second season feminization of Starbuck debacle. Women in this series do enjoy a kind of equality never before seen in sci-fi television, not even Voyager, which was a true landmark. In any case BSG fit my passion, my personality all of my political sensibilities at that time.
DI BSG became something we did together. It was intelligent and interested in all things geeky (not one of It's bad traits.) Discussing the nuances of the highly charged social, political, moral and metaphysical aspects of the show with It was intriguing. (It was not a fan of Starbuck-shocker huh?)
It has taken me a year to get to a place where watching the series doesn't trigger me. I am grateful that it was something I enjoyed BI making it a bit easier to come back to. I decided to share the series with John (my significant other) who shares my love of science fiction films. Since he hasn't seen any episodes we've started back from the beginning of the series. I'm also grateful I haven't seen the series conclusion and will be able to share that with John. But what's fascinating to me is a new parallel I've discovered in the series that I'm guessing my fellow travelers will also be able to see. Cylons are great metaphors for sociopaths.

Cylon (also spelled Kylon from Κύλων) was an Athenian associated with the first reliably dated event in Athenian history, the Cylonian affair. Cylons—from Cybernetic Lifeform Node—
are a fictional race of sentient machines, created by humans. They were originally mechanical, but evolved to a biological form and are almost indistinguishable from humans. Since they were created by humans they consider themselves to be evolved from humans, superior to us and righteously indignant. But what they lack, and aim to acquire through their plan, is a human soul. They want to bond with humans, mate with them and create and advanced species of Human-Cylon DNA.From that brief description the parallel becomes clear. They lack the capacity to bond, to truly love and feel empathy. This is what they most desire... sound familiar? Watching them struggle with their inadequacy while all the while claiming their superiority is at once pitiable and loathsome. Again... sound familiar?
Another interesting parallel is the reactions of humans who were unwittingly intimate with Cylons. When they find out they feel outraged, angry, hurt, duped...
Watching BSG now is much creepier than it ever was, but in a healthier way. Thinking of sociopaths as Cylons is a useful metaphor for me. It allows me to forgive them in some senses while keeping a sane emotional distance. If you like science fiction and haven't yet checked out this series, do so. It's worth it no matter what stage you're in.
Love and hugs, Laura

OMG, Yes! I cannot lie, I was a big fan of the original, campy 70's version of the show. When this was announced I swore I wouldn't watch it, because they'd ruin it. I am very, very pleased to say I was wrong.
ReplyDeleteI didn't get to see BSG before Earl (BE). Then again Earl and I got together in '95 so it didn't exist yet. During Earl (DE), and for a short while After Earl (AE) I wasn't in any real position to watch it. In fact I'd honestly started watching it before I was even close to healthy enough to see it. I was, when Cain and the Pegasus showed up, still very much in serious trouble, seeing myself there, catatonic, beaten, bloody and abused nearly killed me. From the moment I saw her, I KNEW how Gina felt, what it had been like for her to reach that point in life. Not to many months before it had been my brothers widow who reached me as I lay there on the floor dying and catatonic. Had it not been for her, and HER mess, I'd have died there. I kid you not, I'd been there several days alternately crying until I passed out from exhaustion and waking from a nightmare shrieking, only to lay there crying until I passed out again. I'd not eaten or drank anything in days, and was trying to get up the energy to crawl upstairs to the tube so I could die and get it over with without leaving too much a mess of the carpet.
So anyway, I identified with Gina, painfully so, and cried real tears of envy and release for her as she calmly watch the bomb count down to her own extinction. Selling out the resurrection ship so that she wouldn't be downloaded into a new body? Brilliant. While I don't agree with her taking all those people on the freighter with her, she was so far past caring I couldn't really blame her. If I thought I could stop the nightmares and flashbacks by ending my life, I'd so do it. In fact I was ready, and at the time thought it was a good solution.
Then I remembered. My life immediately prior to this one. It all came back in a rush, and I knew suddenly at best taking my life again might give me temporary respite, but I'd have had to face this all again.
So it's taken me a while to climb out of that pit of despair and I dare say I still have a long way to go yet, but I'm making progress. Day by day, poco a poco I put more distance between myself and that fraking toaster I used to love.
Honestly I think that's part of what makes this so hard. Not just the surviving, not just the betrayal, violence and destruction, but the unavoidable reality that like our distant Colonial brothers and sisters out there, fighting their own demons, I know that what I felt was real. No matter how badly it all came together, no matter how wrong it all was, regardless of the incredible toll this, he, Earl took on my life, there was love. What I have to be able to do is somehow throw out the broken toast without throwing out the toast.
Oh so much fun. How to keep what I gained and recover from what I'd suffered ... am suffering. I'll get there, we all will.
Ironically enough, I grew up on Enterprise Prime with Kirk, Spock, Bones and the entire crew too. So yeah, big science fiction fan myself.
Hailing frequencies closed Captain.
How wonderful it is to hear that you are able to watch one of your favorite shows without being 'triggered'.
ReplyDeleteIt's so sad (but common enough) when people give up their passions because of a bad experience with Cylons.
Er...sociopaths and heartless narcs.
ha! Thanks for that...I'll think of you next time I watch sci-fi (which I also love, by the way!)
I must have watched every Star Trek episode ever created. It was my favorite series back in the 1970's when I was dating.
Too bad I assumed it was Science Fiction.
Hugs,
CZBZ