December 18, 2009

Closing A Very Big Door (at an incalculable cost)

Dear O…

It’s time for me to close a very big door. For the sake of my own healing process I’m asking that we cease contact as long as you remain entangled with It. As long as you’re in It’s web, contact with you is like breathing second hand smoke. Not as dangerous, but dangerous nevertheless, especially for an ex-smoker. Contact keeps me too close to the web. I need to be completely free.

I love you, and I love E*** more than you know. You will continue to be in my thoughts. I’m confident you will continue to find ways to cope. You are truly one of the strongest women I know.

I want to thank you for all of your kindness and love during my escape and recovery. I’m not sure I could have done it without you. When you are ready to escape I am available if you need me. Until then…

Love and hugs, l-

5 comments:

  1. Oh my God Laura....I'm so proud of you. It seems...the only way to move forward is to remove the barriers in our way. I know you will benefit from this so much sweetie! I'm so freakin proud to know you and to watch you rise up out of that quicksand! HUGS'N LOVE, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. From an anonymous reader posted on this entry on my FB:

    "that was me that posted anonymous on that letter. I think you are really doing the right thing, as hard as it may be. I believe it is dangerous what she's doing by charading a family unit, and that child is going to get more hurt than he would if dad was just gone. When the child is an adult, he can look his father up and find out for himself. Now is NOT the time to do so. I think its healthy for you to let it go-its too close for comfort. Way to be strong, I think its GREAT that you recognized what is good vs not good for you....after dealing with these people, I think these lines can get blurred. They sure did for me, and I have to work on healing that everyday."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish all normal parents who had a child with an N/S would consider the grown child's perspective. Coming from both ends of it I can say that I totally agree with Anonymous. Better none than that kind... hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.lovefraud.com/blog/2009/12/17/watch-out-for-this-defense-mechanism/

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I would like to actually say how well you both handled yourselves in this post. I feel I am the last person who should have or even write an opinion due to my early stages of recovery myself but...here it is anyways
    Even though the Ex feels she is doing the very best she possibly can in her situation with the choices she is making...it is ultimately her choice even though she acknowledges the damage being done. I am so impressed laura at how you approach the logic and reasoning behind each point made. You can tell how strong your connection and concern is for both of them. I smiled when I read your considerate post regarding closing the door in a very respectful way. I also want to personally thank you for that post and let you know that if those comments were the last entries made on this blog I have gotten more out of reading these entries than I have in my short time in therapy. I am still like a deer in headlights at this point. All I can say is thank you.
    P

    ReplyDelete