April 23, 2009

Sociopathic Weapons of Choice: A Post for My Ex's Victims Both Past and Present


When I first learned that my ex had been diagnosed with NPD I desperately wanted to believe that something could be done and that he was on the "mild" end of some sort of sociopathic spectrum. As my research continues I've come to the conclusion that those who are most often considered mild sociopaths are simply sociopaths who don't want to get their hands dirty. They choose not to commit acts of physical violence. Instead they prefer emotional torture, which all too often results in the suicide of the sociopath's victim. 

Since psychological aggression isn't considered a crime, and since sociopaths are experts at appearing blameless and upstanding, and since victims are often left feeling responsible for their own abuse, these emotional rapists are commonly dismissed as mild sociopaths who merely have "narcissistic traits" or "tendencies." (By the way, my ex was aware of his diagnosis when I met him. If he really believed this wasn't a  problem he wouldn't have chosen to withhold this information.)
Sociopaths don't feel emotion the way normal people do, but they learn to mimic it by closely observing the behaviors and responses of others. If you ever felt like a lab rat in a maze with your N, know that you in fact were! He was learning how to direct you to the cheese and what kind to leave out for you. Sociopaths want to experience authentic emotion and many of them cause pain in others in the hope of feeling something, anything. But just as (Michael Fox points out) bodily torture isn't called physical persuasion. Likewise the harm caused by the psychological warfare waged by a sociopath isn't simply a matter of emotional manipulation or persuasion. It is emotional rape, the purpose of which is no different than bodily rape. Victims of sociopaths end up with PTSD symptoms exactly like any other victim of any other kind of torture.

So was my ex mild? Hell no! 

Because he chooses not to destroy with his hands or hire an assassin does not mean that his weapon of choice is any less destructive or vicious. The trail of tortured souls he has left behind him, and continues to leave in his wake may not be bloody or bruised, but are just as real and every bit as damaged. Emotional assault is as devastating for victims and those that love them as any criminal assault. Unfortunately this weapon is legal and is (as was spousal rape in the past) considered socially acceptable. 

The people currently forced to stay in my ex's life continue to be victimized. Some know what he is and are able to defend themselves to some degree, but are still being held as prisoners of war. Those he manages to captivate in future will be victimized until they are able to see behind the mask, hopefully make a clean escape, and begin the long road to recovery. My heart goes out to all of them... this post is for them.

love and hugs,
Laura   

76 comments:

  1. Mild sociopath? No - that's called a subcriminal sociopath. You're right they don't want to get their hands "dirty" -- or get caught.

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have agree, this is the best article about these people I've seen in all my research. Cut and dry straight to the point no room to fool yourself.

      Delete
  2. Mine never laid a hand on me, but when I walked out I was a complete zombie. Right before I left for good, I looked in the mirror and wondered where I had gone. I felt somewhat crazy, and knew I had to save myself before it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the people who need to read this, do read it. Thank you, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barbara I love it. Subcriminal sociopath! Nice play on words, and so describes my late husband to a T!

    Yeah, my N was "mild" like something that's only on the habenyaro (sp?) hot scale of peppers. It'll cause extreme pain and lasting suffering but won't be merciful and kill you right off like something on the Scoval (sp?) scale of hotness will.

    Like dropping two hundred feet into a grassy field. It's mild compared to dropping two hundred feet into water. In both cases pretty much every bone in you body will shatter, just in the case of water you'll die right off instead of suffering the kind of living death that that kind of a fall can mean if you don't die right off.

    Like Earl's cat. Used to like to play with things (LIVING things) until they broken, and then would leave them there suffering instead of killing them right off.

    Honestly sometimes getting physically abused is easier and preferable Anon, trust me, I've tried it both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This describes my EX. He married his fifth wife. Oh God she's going to need this....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. It took 3 long months to end my relationship with my boyfriend of 1yr. I suspected things were not right and wanted out but he kept up the pretense of us being a couple and denied he went back to his ex wife. I finally had a breakdown from this man being so relentless of keeping me in an emotional loop 2 weeks ago. He called me and heard my pain, but there was no feeling there from him like there was in the beginning......his ex called me last wknd and we shared things he had done with both us of for last 9 months - when each of us thought he was with one of us only. We both cried and laughed about our discovery. Sadly she is not able to leave him as I have. She has been with him 10yrs and feels trapped because of the financial devastation he created btwn them that was not over when I came into the picture. I never knew anything but what he wanted me to know. I know I need help because I do feel like a deer in headlights. Every once in a while I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm an intelligent girl with 2 degrees - how did this happen?? Yes, he is very intelligent, witty and charming - and his 18yr old son is a mini-him. If you ever find yourself in this, please get out and get help as I am now......I have a long way to go emotionally though. Peace and prayers for my fellow suffers. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, If you haven't discovered it already please go to the following two sites. They are enormously helpful. Love and hugs, Laura

    http://saferelationships.com/
    http://www.lovefraud.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article has been very enlightning. My daughter was 16 when she met her 19 year old boyfriend. He was charming, old fashioned and the perfect boyfriend for about a year. Then when she was preparing to look at colleges to play volleyball anything coed he would not support. He started a relationship with a girl at the college she chose so that it would make it to awkard for her attend (we found this out later) and she took him back not knowing the extent of the relationship. Once back in the relationship it was mind games and control and manipulation. She found some pictures of his out on the internet this summer and they finally broke up. He harrassed her until changing her number and then with posting pictures on the internet in hopes she will see them. She is over him and is getting better and looking at schools out of state now that she has the chance. He was jealous of her and tried to control her and took away her opportunities. He came on strong in the beginning with flowers and attention but he proved to be a manipulator and liar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to point out a hopefully obvious fact, that the ASPD can be either gender. I endured a very painful relationship/divorce/custody battle with my ex-wife and I don't see myself ever recovering. I've been totally ruined emotionally and financially. If you think it's hard to "out" an ASPD male, try to convince someone that the petite , 5'4", bubbly brunette has a sinister side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Anonymous, I have stated several times throughout this blog that I use the masculine pro-noun for ease of clarity and because the vast MAJORITY of NSPD's are male. That is simply a fact. I have never tried to claim that women cannot be disordered or that they cause pain and destruction to the people in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love someone to talk to....I'm just out of a 4 year relationship with an extreme sociopath. He's already onto his next victim and no longer harrassing me. I always knew something wasnt quite right but really started to beleive it was me after the constant brainwashing. He lied constantly, cheated, beat me and raped me several times......I'll give you one example, I tried to commit suicide it got so bad.....I was put in the hospital and while I was in there.....he had another woman to our house for sex and laughed about how crazy I was....but the true torture is who I have become....I am mentally so different then I was.....weak....broken......a friend of mine told me he was a sociopath right from the getgo, I never really knew what one was....the last few days I've been researching online and am blown away how he fits it to a tee-from killing kittens as a child to a stuttering problem now. It's definately helped me a great deal understanding finally that he really DIDNT love me-but more then that it's helped me realize I don't need to feel ashamed that I stayed, I was brainwashed and theres many more like me. I would love to find others to share stories with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you found this blog and other resources. Healing is a roller coaster ride, but hang in there. hugs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dated one for about a year and a half. I found out he was sleeping with his ex-girlfriend and his ex-wife the first 3-4 months we were dating; then again slept with her 6 months later, ad nauseum. He has used the same "tactics" on all three of us - even down to the same "words" to hook us back in. Myself and his ex-wife have been in contact, which has been THEE most helpful thing as well as freeing. His ex-girlfriend remains a stand-by supply for him which is sad for her, but he can be incredibly convincing. We are all just actors in his drama script and regardless of change in actors or even the scene, the same script keeps playing out over and over and over again. It is very painful to let go of something that never really existed, except in my own mind. But the good thing for the victims of these predators is, that we can move on and find peace. They are forever stuck in their self-created cesspool of misery, deceipt and self-centeredness. And that is one hell of a way to live:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been in a relationship with a man, who I now see is a sociopath, for 2 1/2 years. I have tried many times to forget about him, but somehow he always manages to find his way back into my life. I guess the "somehow" is my fault. Ultimately, I end up missing him, believe he really loves me, feel empty without him and I could never figure out why. My very good girlfriend has stuck by me throughout this rollercoaster relationship by listening without judgement, picking me up every time he pushed me down the dark familiar hole of insecurity and insanity, reassured me that I have worth and finally, she made me listen to her while she read to me the carchteristics of a sociopath. Yesterday while listening to her, I realized what he is. Today, I have finally decided to educate myself and stumbled across your site. So many things dont make sense to me, and I have many questions of which I cannot find the answers online. I am scared of returning to the abusive relationship I had with him. I dont know how to end it. I dont know how to stop thinking that if I loved him enough, he would want me and a "normal" life. I dont know how to keep him out of my thoughts and away from me. Please help. Its only been a day. Right now I feel strong in knowing what "it" was, but I am afraid of tomorrow, and how I have continued to let him back in my life over and over because I think I love and miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see this post is old and hopefully you have healed. What has helped me is a book by Sandra L Brown. "Women who love Psychopaths" All of the answers are there it help me 110%. I hope someone reads this post and finds it helpfu.

      6/2012

      Delete
  15. It is essentialy simple to end it once knowing what he is plus having gone through repeated bouts of abuse.Do no contact after briefly telling him it's over and he is not to contact you again, done without going into any further explanations. If he persists making contact despte your ignoring him have it enforced legally.
    You need to decide if you deserve not to be abused or subject your kith and kin to your negative outcomes through dealing with him.
    You are drawn by the endorphins of sexual connection-oxytocin- and other imbalances of traumatic bonding-look it up.
    See how Sam Vankin describes in a documentary on him "I Psycopath" how he knows to abuse to cause this.
    A heroin addict is your parallel, would you keep taking heroin to feel better briefly and be sick and behave in compromised ways?
    Are you really this low?women start as innocent victims, then eventualy in painfully awakening do need to take full responsibility for the next stage.That ought to entail no contact despite confused feelings around the loss of a delusion.Otherwise accept you may be as disordered as him and it's tantamount to collusion. So work out what you are, decent or depraved and act accordingly. I hope you share this with your friend and she knows then what she is dealing with in you by your future choice.
    If you have a dependant personality disorder you are potentialy sunk, unless have another option to go to immidiatley- monkey tree type. Then your friend may stop the futile support. On the otherhand this dependant disorder can live well with a good partner, and it's essential that's the type of man they find. I'm not saying you have this disorder, it's not that common, but had a girlfriend with it so assisting her turned out to have to be done differently.
    I did have an NPD partner, awful damage done, the longer one's with them the greater the setbacks. I did no contact, need kin support and a legal order, and this did finaly end it.Life is so much saner & better without himand my only regret is the recoveryof so much still to rectify and do to do, physically, economically and some psychologically,Plus I can see the incremental damage every moment longer with him has cost that I paid for later.
    Much wiser if you can get away safely to do so sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your well thought out comment. I hope my friend reads it. Love and hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just discovered that my live-in boyfriend of 3 years is a sociopath. I just decided to google the traits and they describe him to a tee. My life is completely shattered! Until a few days ago, everything I thought and believed about him was a lie. I don't even know who he is. He has been deceiving me with multiple women. Taking their money...and mine. Lies lies lies and more lies. and now that he knows I know he keeps sending me emails begging me to come back. saying it won't happen again. But it's not the first time. I thought he could be changed. I thought I had changed him but in fact nothing changed at all. He was just able to hide his true self more effectively. I figure the best way to recover is to move away to another city and never accept any contact from him again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your blog and for your openness. I've felt very alone - nobody I know can really understand. Some of my friends have met her, and see the charming exterior.

    It hadn't even occured to me to look for other victims of sociopaths until tonight. I've lost friends because of that sociopath's lies; other aspects of my life will never be the same, just because that one person can't admit their mistakes.

    It's taking a long time, but things are getting back to normal.

    Thank you again.

    Ste

    ReplyDelete
  19. I welcome the day the pain goes away. My only regret was as long as I stayed. I'm way to strong to be a statistic. I'm surrounded by love but yours was unrealstic...love always my soul that you took!!!
    I thought of this one day. I recently ended a 3 year relationship with a man who I loved with all my heart. He almost killed me one night. I finally decided to call the police after this latest "outburst" that he said I made him do. When they arrested him the poilce said "he's a typical sociopath" I said a what? And now ahh it all makes sense. OMG. Every trait he carries. Now comes therapy..And alot of it! From all sources. I want him back through this crazy rollercoaster ride. Even with the debt hes put me in. The physical scars hes given me that are healed. All the friends and family that do not like him. I know its wrong. Hes no good. He's put me through hell.And thank goodness for the order of protection or I would prob still be seeing him.I wish the pain would go away. He told me all the feelings I would feel if I called the police that night. He"prepped" my mind for the pain that would come. He was right!ANd he id probably hanging out with his next "victim" and that makes me insanely jealous! I cant stop stalking his facebook. I purposly drive by his street(even though I think he was evicted for not paying rent) Bills meant nothing although he would rant and rave about how important credit is. I will wait impatiently for the day that I am healed. If there is such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am humbled and heartened by the people who have written to this site. Its a brave thing to open up about your emotions at the best of times. To do so about sormeone so destructive in your life takes real guts. Eleven years ago I started a relationship with a person I now know to be a sociopath. I lasted 2 and 1/2 years with the guy and we have a child. He disappeared when I got pregnant despite being a planned pregnancy. I trusted him that much. It's such a similar story to those I am reading here. He has never met his child. But then again, I find this is his 8th child. The other 7 are from 3 other women. There are probably more now. He is being chased for support for at least one of these other children - the one he told me was his "neice". Sadly, when we were dating, I didn't know he was being chased for this support. The man spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on great wines and expensive clothes. While he never financially rippoed me off, you can't put a price on the emotional rip off and guilt-laying. Two of his current girl friends harassed me, he was preoccupied with sex and created a whole fantasy life of being a US Navy Admiral on career break to work in Australia (complete with a uniform) and of course, an exotic French model for an ex-girlfriend and an ex-wife who died tragically in a car accident, allegedly by a drunk driver. (I have since found out his ex wife is alive and well in the US). He told me his mother was an alcoholic and he was the one who took care of both his parents. Turns out he hadn't been in contact for years with any of his family (and no, mum is not an alcoholic). This is the first time I've ever put a name I can print on his behaviour. I have no bittnerness just a space that used to be "us" which I think of a closed off room that doesn't need to be openend. It has left me with some interesting emotional scars. I call them "features not faults" and there are some positives from this experience - one being the gift of my beautiful child and another, my finely tuned b.s. meter. Never again. I now know why I am a prime target for this kind of guy. This was a genuine sociopath who preyed on my good nature and social extroverted ways. He has no conscience. It took me four years to forgive myself for my stupidity ignoring the signs. To be honest I was presented with some truths. It was beyond my comprehension that someone could lie that much - it couldn't be true, so I forgave him until it got so ridiculous I couldn't explain it away any more. I've never heard or met anyone with a similar story and I thank you all for your honesty. It's helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in denial about your addictive behavior-it becomes a co-dependant relationship at best with you needing his approval,attention,love-whixh you will NEVER get from a sociopath. I was with my N for almost 7 years and twenty months later I am just beggining to heal. It ended with me homeless, strung out and suicidal. My family came to get me as I was 3,000 miles from home and when they did he had me thrown in jail using false evidence. I got 6 months-they tried to give me 2 1/2 years-I thank God everyday for the love and belief my family and friends had in me, without them I would not be here today. Finding this site today has given me the sense of relief and validation I have been searching for. I have a long way to go but feel like i am making progress!

      Delete
  21. what does a sociopath fear?

    ReplyDelete
  22. They fear being exposed. They have narcissistic tendencies and fear that their narcissistic supply will be cut off (you being the supply). They have no guilt for what they have done. It is all about them and what "you" caused them to do. My daughter was dating one and once they broke up he send her a letter six months later after rebounding with someone else when that relationship (supply) seemed to be ending. The letter was an apology begging her forgiveness and there were many more "I" than "you" in the letter. It spoke of how she was "punishing" him and how he had received karma for the actions he deserved. For a letter of apology it seemed like it was about him and how he was feeling. It has almost been a year and she has done "No Contact" which is the best move she could have made. He recently friend requested her on facebook which she had ignored several weeks later. As soon as she ignored it he moved on to his next victim flauting it as he had done with the first. He went crazy initially after they broke up even though he initiated the breakup so we had to change her cell phone number. He tried emailing her, setting up fake facebook profies, driving by our home and will frequent our side of city even though he lives on the other side of the city. It will be a year this month and I hope he is done although this new relationship he is is may not be real. It has been a tough year for my daughter but also a year of growth and taking back her life. She is drama free and back to her old self but wiser and less trusting. For everyone out there deal with a sociopath 'No Contact' is the best policy. There is hope and although it will hurt initially every day it will get better even if it dosen't feel like it. Surround yourself with friends and family and at least one person you can confide in. Take things slow and heal yourself. You will be angry, sad, happy and back and forth with all these emotions. Be thankful that you escaped and feel pity for the next person he/she is involved with. Learn to love yourself again and know that although it was a tough experience that you had to learn you will heal and be whole again and be stronger and wiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was in total shock that someone could be so cruel.....I never knew that my own brother could be this way! There needs to be greater education on what to watch out for - RED FLAGS that one must be aware of. I am slowly healing, but I relapse all the time because it is so hard to believe. I do hope that this knowledge will make me stronger and wiser. Although sometimes I almost feel paranoid now, because I can't trust people like I did before this experience with a psychopath.

      Delete
    2. thank you for your words..

      Delete
  23. My husband was married to a woman who displays extreme ASPD or sociopathic symptoms. My husband had sought a vasectomy early in their marriage and his wife continued having affairs which resulted in several pregnancies by other men which she aborted. She was in the habit of stealing from their friends and her employers. By the time he divorced her, he was financially destroyed with two bankruptcies on his record and default on the purchase on an expensive car that he bought to appease her. He met me a year after their divorce was final and I was oblivious to the dark past of their marriage. Shortly after my husband and I started dating, she began a campaign of defaming me to the children and encouraged them to lable me "The Psycho Bitch on a Broom." My husband told me that his ex endowed anyone he dated after their divorce with ugly nicknames that she taught to the children. She successfully chased off each person he met through her constant phone calls or by the children's learned rude behavior. When she couldn't run me out of his life, she stepped up her tactics. In that I never had any personal inolvement with her I saw clearly what her dynamic entailed while she continued to target me, but as my husband had lived in the role of accomplice, then victim, he had been unable to relinquish the years of indoctrination. She even began writing to my son and suggested to him that I was an incompetent mother. Her daughter also wrote to my son and encouraged him to consider killing me. After losing her home to foreclosure, she and her husband were served with unlawful detainer twice, then just a month later, on my son's graduation day, she called my husband in hysterics stating that she was in Mexico and that their daughter, whom she left at home was dying of Meningitis. My husband rushed twenty five miles to take his daughter to the hospital near her home and spent most of the night in the ER. His daughter had mild stomach upset and was sent home with Tylenol. Her mother has convinced their daughter not to visit us and has violated the court repeatedly. Their daughter has become rigidly hostile toward me and wrote an ugly letter to her father giving him an ultimatum that he must leave me and be her mother's friend or she never wanted to see him again. Most recently, the ex sought a support modification increase through the court and in the process submitted a false, scathing declaration claiming that I am mentally unstable. As it is a matter of public record and could have serious consequences for my professional and social contacts, I will be suing her for Libel and requesting sanctions, prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. I have documented evidence, including letters that she herself wrote, admitting to the ongoing denigration and defamation. My husband and I have cut off all contact with her other than through our lawyer. In the interim, my husband is working through his recovery from eleven years of hell with a sociopath and it is actually making our marriage stronger and more committed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a husband of a sociopath for 21 years I fully understand the blame shifting tactics and destruction caused. The thing that baffles and confuses me most is how anyone can be so deceptive without guilt. I expect that if I understood I too would be in too deep to ever come back. Two years since she had found herself caught in her own snares of deception and no way of escape but divorce, I have found that she was doing detestable porn, (my fault), and "clearly not her". I used to be convinced by her lies. Doubting everything I knew to be real and true. The inner turmoil and confusion unbearable. I lost myself in the mess. I,too, am not sure if I will ever be able to trust again, ever. I do know that I can trust her to be bent for my absolute destruction (no fault of her own of course) Breaking contact with her has been easy in the face of serious legal consequenses that would gravely impair her ability to continue seeking and pleasing herself. Emotionally this went way too far and the subsequent scarring goes far beyond the scope of most peoples understanding. I do in fact matter if only to myself. Courage is fear holding on for a minute longer (G.S.Patton)

      Delete
  24. It's been 14 months since I walked away from my sociopathic boyfriend. I didn't know what I was dealing with nor could I understand why I behaved the way I did when I was with him. In all of the stories and research I read the names can be interchanged with my own.
    He swept me off my feet and said all the right things initally. I'd found the one person that was so perfect for me!! Then he started in with the small critcisms and convinced me that I was the one who needed professional help. He routinely checked my phone, phone records, emails and mail because he was sure I was cheating on him even though he was the one who cheated on me. I stayed home because I alienated all of my friends and family. I was terrified to go out or be away from him because of the wrath I was going to face.
    Even my own parents attempted an intervention with me and failed. No one could have taken me from him until I decided I had had enough. He was killing me, slowly. I cried daily, refused to eat and started abusing Rx meds to sleep and just to function. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. No one saw the inside but people saw the outside deteroration. Most people think there is a type of victim. There isn't. I'm a lawyer. A prosecutor and I routinely prosecute men who abuse their significant others. Part of the shame is that I was going through it myself.
    Luckily I mustered the strength and broke it off. It took a massive effort from my best friend, parents and therapist. Without a phenomenal support group I never would have gotten away. It started when I decided to tell the truth about the mental and sexual abuse. I told my best friend one thing, and then another and eventually it all came out. The truth and support set me free.
    I still work with him and see him on a daily basis. Six months after I left him he moved his new girlfriend into my neighborhood- four houses away. He now drives by my house on a daily basis. He also moved from a house he owned 40 minutes from my home to an apartment five minutes from my home. He was trying to hack into my phone records for months afterwards. I had to change all of my account information and notify my cell phone service and banks about him.
    He tells some of my coworkers that I am a lying manipulative whore. He also calls his new girlfriend a whore and checks up on her all the time.
    His words don't affect me and my coworkers know that I am a great person and that he's crazy.
    God will take care of him.

    I am not fully recovered from him or the havoc and misery he caused. One day I will be. But for now the only thing I can do is tell others my story and hope that someone is saved from a person like this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If I posted my whole story of the past 4 1/2 years, it would be a repeat of EVERYONE elses. I tried to leave 3 times, but my love for him let me stay. I knew it was only temporary because the lies and the other women kept coming. He told the other women I was crazy! I finally moved away, and guess who came back? I let him in, but only for a month or so. It hurt so bad to turn my back on him. I loved him more than I ever loved anyone, to think it was all a lie is sometimes more than I can handle. I finally filed for divorce and before it was final he had his newest victim. (yes, there were many before me... learned that too!) He was kind enough to accidently send me 76 photos of him, her and her kids.... they moved to Arizona, he even sent a photo of her drivers license! (I stopped looking after the 5th one.. had to force myself to stop and delete!) I too, just wait for the day for the pain to stop, I wonder, will I ever trust anyone again? Will I ever be normal? How did I get to this? I was strong, owned my own home and ten acres, had a good job, tons of friends... now.. I work part time and go to school, raise my kids who hate him, and live in a mobile home park!!! I pray constantly for peace and strength and the ability to make him leave my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is an appeal for help! I have read through some of your stories and I sympathize as best as I can with you all for having to endure so much, and I am also greatful for you coming out and speaking about it.
    My problem is current. My problem is somewhat indirect. The girl I love has fallen victim.We have had a rocky relationship for the past year. Alot of these problems were my inablity to commit-there was no lying or cheating but no real commitment. Well she started to talk to this guy. He has has been diagnosed and for certain she is heading down the path described by you all. The have been "dating" for about two months. He stayed at her house for 3 weeks- which was supposed to be just one night! her mother caught onto him and go him out. Well she wasnt talking to me while he was there but when he left she contacted me and we were talking again..

    He somehow contacted her after a week. she quit her job and moved down to stay with him at his grandparents house 4 states away. I no longer get through to her. its been 7 days since weve spoken.

    I was ready to commit to her but i knew she needed time to heal so i was supporting her until she felt ready to be totally involved with me.

    Is there anything I can do to help? Im afraid if i contact her too much it will play into his hands. Should I stay away and let it run its course? She has isolated herelf from everyone including her mom- they were extremely close. We were making plans to see each other soon and then she abruptly made the move. I hope it isnt too late and there may be some steps that can help her see the way without all the pain. I dont know what frame of mind she is in beacuse I myslef havent been through anything like this, but your wisdom in this matter will assist me greatly!

    Thank you sincerly for your assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  27. After only 2 years of marriage, my sociopathic husband suddenly announced that he had not been ready to get married when we did...and he just up and left...got his own place to live. He was very cold about everything as he packed all his belongings. I am still in shock and enormous pain. This man kept professing his love to me...assuring me that he would always be there for me....and then suddenly announces that he is leaving! And, he had the audacity to say that I was the one who needs help!
    Needless to say, I am struggling with trying to make all this real for myself! I truly loved this man and am left with the very difficult task of separating the REAL him from the person he portrayed himself to be!
    My anxiety level is so high that it is interfering with my ability to function.
    I am reading multiple web sites about sociopaths and the destruction they leave behind. It's incomprehensible! And so, my prayer for myself and others who have been subjected to their sociopath's cruelties, is that God grace us with the ability to comprehend what has been done to us...and that He lend His strong hand to our healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well here goes... I am also a victim of a liar,cheater, manipulating, con artist. Is he a sociopath? a psycopath? I really dont know. I to have read all the sites and tried to understand what has just happened to me.. I was a strong individual 2 years ago butnow I am not even half of that. He stole my will to go on, through his lies of that he would always be here with me, to us growing old together, I have no clue anymore whats real and whats not. He hunted me the first 5 1/2 months of knowing me, calling my work showing up where I would be calling me asking me out he was very aggressive, saying just go out with him. Finally I did and I lost myself after that. he wanted to live together immediately then there was the he wanted to get married (which I did unfortunately) then came the personality changes. the short temper, aggressive behavior. mood swings from extremely happy to extremely angry over really nothing. He hated his ex wife he was paying child support it was all a money issue with him. he talked about how bad she was, lazy smoked drank didnt cook etc. I was appalled I wanted a better life for this man. WRONG !!!! I was warned by alot of people that had known him and they all said please think about this he has a reputation for running around and lying etc. I thanked them kindly and went along his path believeing him after all he was promising a better life for the both of us. he was "loving" affectionate, everything you could ever hope or dream for, but little by little I was losing my identity everything was about him for him etc. I no longer had an existense. BUT I love AT&T they dont lie to you they have print outs of phone calls, text msging and a really handy new gps that helped me with my suspicions. YEP he was talking to the ex wife and he was sleeping with another woman he was a very busy man. he blames the phone !!! lol it cost me a divorce he stated I said NO it helped me to see that my gut instinct was right! well he left Jerry Springer style I had the girl friend in the front yard asking him do you love me, her husband following her telling her to get into to car and my husband packing his truck. I stood out there and watched in disbelief he left they left he went straight to his ex wife's house and the girl friend hounded me along with her husband. she said if it hadnt of been her it would have been someone else hmmmm.... she is still waiting for him. I am not and the ex wife well I feel sorry for her. Yes my life was a lie also and I cant really say if he ever loved me I am hurt and wounded now, trying to recoup and get myself back. I WONT GO BACK WITH HIM. He hasnt tried to contact me, call or see me, but my friends say give it time he will I only know I dont ever want to go through all of this again with him or anyone else. He still hasnt filed for divorce as of yet I am not because I refuse to give up another penny toward him. God please give me the help I need to survive and and the knowledge to spot another one...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I recently escaped from a 3 year on/off relationship with a man who I believe is a sociopath. I knew something wasn't right with this man. He told me at the beginning of the relationship that he and his ex-girlfriend of 5 years were over because she had met another man out of town and that they were talking marriage. Next thing I find out, he still has her house key and goes to her house at all hours of the night to use her computer and wash clothes (he says). When I confronted him on this he said "I never said they were getting married". He often says one thing to appease me and then denies it later. My self-esteem took a beating and I couldn't take it anymore, so I told him it was over. This time I really mean it...It has been 1 month of "no contact" and it is hard. I feel sick about not seeing him, but no it is for the best. I'm in a co-depedency support group and private counseling. I'm working on myself and learning about boundaries. Red flags went up early on in the relationship and I ignored them because I wanted this man so much. I'm doing OK though. Good luck to everyone trying to get over an abusive man. Please don't call your abuser. It makes you look pathethic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where do I begin? My life has been described in every blog I read. I am so ashamed of myself and question my sanity daily. This toxic person has slithered into my life off and on for 30+ years. I finally started seeing him with eyes wide open 4 years ago. He also will tell me information and then deny he ever said it. Continually tells me I create these stories in my head. When he is backed into a corner with his lies and no escape from telling the truth; he will still keep on lying. My life has been or at least the life I thought was real has been destroyed. I know now my entire adult life has been one catastrophic lie. I am to ashamed to tell anyone how many cruel things this narcissistic sociopath has said or done to me. I have cried everyday for 4 years now and god only knows how many times I cried over the last 34 years. I managed to maintain no contact for 7 months, and then he manipulated my phone number from my son's girlfriend. This was in September of this year and here I am again being sucked back into that dark whole. I keep asking myself what is wrong with me? I used to be this bright, articulate woman. Now I do not even want to leave my house. I know he is only calling because he has himself backed into a corner again. I know I need to change my phone number again - 5x in 4 years. But some sick part of me wants to believe this one time he might really mean what he says, " no way!" I have been diagnosed with major depression and post traumatic stress disorder. I live by myself, my family all live up north (1000+), and my friends, very few anymore just do not understand what I am going through. I read and read everything I can about this "devil" in order to help me find inner peace but lately ther isn't anything that can stop this pain I feel inside. Life and love are not supposed to be this cruel. I want so much to be happy again, please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the friend of a victim whose story is a shorter lived but exact replica of yours, I send you my wishes that you are on a healthy, happier path now! You have the right to a GOOD GOOD GOOD LIFE!

      Delete
    2. is there a way you could move more close to your family? Or contact them more often? You need to work on a support group around you. Get help and start talking. Go do some sports so you start feeling better, even a daily walk might help. You won't be able to get back your strenght in one day, just try day by day.

      Delete
  31. Ditto for me in most of the above.  I just ended it with my second scociopathic boyfriend.  First one lasted 6 months, I managed no contact for 5 years with the help of the police.  He still stalks me and the urge to go back is still present. Second boyfriend lasted 7 months. Same story.  He moved in within weeks, he bought me an engagement ring within months, and I lost myself.  Luckily, I got out before he got my house. (his previous wife lost hers to him and it was the same story with her, moved in right away, etc.).  Good book: "The Sociopath Next Door" helped me the most.  The thing that I think works for them is that some small part of us wAnts to believe they love us.  If you read that book, the most important thing I learned is that a sociopaths primary objective is to win.  That's why they continually need to hurt us so they can win us back.  Once I found that out, it was so much easier to walk away.  I derive a great deal of pleasure knowing that they are squirming becasuse they lost.  I, too, am educated, smart, and have a lot going for me.  And I'm not going to let them win.  Also, as a precautionary measure, I called Equifax to put myself on their fraud alert, just in case he got ahold of my SSN while slithering around in my house.  Good luck to you all.  Stay strong.  Get a mantra and repeat it to yourself everytime you find yourself thinking of him/her.  They are the worst drugs out there!!!  I'd rather be dead than with that kind of torture.  I'm much happier alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have the weirdest same stories...and none of us have met, yet we're all connected because these sociopathic men have robbed us years of our "loving life" personalities. I'm moving on after a 4 year marriage together 6 and 2 children. We've been separated for almost 4 months...He already had another girl lined up after 2 months telling her he "Loved" her. I am making no contact and he will be erased from my childrens life due to years of emotional and physical abuse. Thank you for sharing a mirroring image of my life :) xoxo Good luck to you as well.

      Delete
  32. I'm from Kentucky and married a man from California 5 years ago that has many of the traits of a sociopath. Everything about him was and is a lie. I never understood why his own father, brothers, sons etc. never called him and often didn't answer his calls. He had me believing he had Lukemia when we first met and I felt sorry for him. It was such a shame that he was like this. In some ways he had a brilliant mind. But he was definitely sick. He had few emotions. He was like a stone. He was also socially backward. No one wanted to be around him much. They all thought he was weird. He had a photographic memory, would see stories and such on Television and make them his own. He was a musician and I later found out that all of the songs he claimed were written by him were written by someone else. He would make repairs and enhancements to my home and then practically claim he had built it. He worked for my quadreplegic brother giving him suppositories to make his bowels move but dressed like he was a doctor because he wanted everyone to think he was one. I was blind at first. Tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he was just so weird and got worse. My family hated him. He was very hard to be around. I never really trusted him and finally caught him on line romancing some musician chick. I actually tried to warn her even though she had been romancing with my husband, but he already had her hooked and when I threw him out he went to her. He was definitely a life-sucker. I feel very lucky and relieved to be rid of him. I've started dating again and there is such a difference between him and normal men.

    ReplyDelete
  33. thank you. so much. just for even mentioning the term "emotional rapist". it is how i've been describing my PTSD from experiences with persons of ASPD.Thank you. Thank you, thank you. Just to know that such a comparison isn't rash is wonderful. I have been manic from the anxiety, especially if I stay up too late researching. It is all just due to the ultimate truth, that when my closest family and friends ask for some sort of way to understand the pain, I simply say, "It felt like my mind has been molested".

    ReplyDelete
  34. My PTSD as mentioned before, due to my "emotional rape" of an N has, like many before have described, made me question my sanity. I know I am sane, but in all honesty, I became so manic, that it has become extremely DIFFICULT trying to trust ANYBODY, even my lover for the past year. Truthfully, I don't believe her to be an N... At all. I'm just so worried, because they person affected with ASPD are such good actors! 1 in 25 people!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my. Thank you so much for this site.I needed this. I have one in my life. I need all the support I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Im the mother in law of a sociopath. When after nearly 11 years of being married to my daughter, (and seeing her health emotional/physical disappearing over the years)I finally spoke out. I said you are a bully. I had been looking after my daughter and granddaughters through illnesses, etc, for many years at her request. After saying to him you are a bully, he called the Police to me. He could never hold a conversation with me, all I got was the silent treatment from him, or I was told that I was mentally unstable and needed to see a Psychiatrist. He even went to see my Doctor,to try and convince her I am insane. She obviously didnt believe him. He reported me for animal cruelty, again totally unfounded, and by co-opting others (Narcissism by proxy) I felt I was being victimised and threatened, though he never showed his face. I was stopped from seeing my little granddaughters, who were devastated, by him. He has, I believe, brainwashed my lovely daughter, and when I saw my two granddaughters recently, they just stared at me and walked away from me. I am convinced that he is a sociopath, as he shows no empathy, lies all the time, his C.V. is just nonsense. Claims to have qualifications that do not exist, but is just so charming and superficial. Fortunately people believe me, but now the family has moved away and she has no support. I can only contact her by text and am not supposed to know where they live. This has been going on for over two years now, and it is only now that I am slowly coming to terms with this. By the way I issued proceedings for the right to see my granddaughters, but again he committed perjury throughout the hearing, and I was left utterly speechless at seeing the man that he really is. I had always known Jekyll now it was the turn of Hyde. I pray every day and have now put all my faith and trust in God to sort this out.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How does one leave a NPD sociopath? I have been in a 5 year relationship with one. I have a 2 year old son, whom I feel is completely under his father's mind control, or spell, or whatever you call it. I want to leave the relationship but he breaks down emotionally and does not want me to leave. I am currently in therapy with him, but I already feel like he is working on getting the therapist on his side. He did this before, quite easily. After reading so much about others' pain after suffering at the hands, or darkened minds of such sad characters, I want to know how to get out without any harm to myself or my child. Please, any helpful advice is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You haveto resolve to do it by knowing tha healing can only happen after you leave and that staying will only result in more and more harm. Also by understanding that pathologicals cannot be helped. Period. All the counseling in the world is a complete waste of time. Until you're ready he will continue to harm both you and your child. The only way to avoid further harm is to have ABSOLUTELY NO CONTACT with him ever again, as difficult as that will be. Love and hugs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  39. After 14 year marriage I finally left. From day one I did not like him. He was a friend of a friend my first impression of him was he was a tornado. I had never meet someone like him before or should I say I never allowed someone like him in my inner circle. I thought there would be no harm in him being just a friend....wrong. He had target me from day one. He was on the verge of losing his home because he missed treated his roomates, he was unemployed and needed someone to pay all his bills.

    He gave me the sad poor me story every time I did not want to do it his way...his parents divorced when he was young, he was poor growing up and no one ever "loved him"...blah blah blah all lies. I did not want to date him...I was not even attracted to him and did not like is immature attitude. He moved in quickly. Within months I was dating him, within months I moved in to his dump of a house and within one month I was paying his full morgage, electric and oil. Of course I was mad but somehow he had control over me with his poor me attitude.....never in a million years would I ever have thought I would be in a crazy relationship with a crazy man, see him for who he really was and not be able to leave it for so many years. He made me feel like if I left him he would not be able to function (which is true)....but little did I know he would just get another victim to fill my place.

    I knew something was not right with him from day one. We went to marriage counseling and a few times individual couseling. I told the counselor everything that was not right with him ie his daily lying, no remorse, anger, cheating, everything that is a sociopath.....never did she tell me that he was a sociopath. I am so mad I stayed another 6 years. When I left him I went to a new counselor who told me within 20 mins of the first appointment that I was married to a sociopath.

    I could not get my head around that fact that he was a sociopath...even though he met all the traits...I had know Idea 1 in 25 people are sociopaths. It was true he was a sociopath and everything made sense finally.

    Now like all of you I am picking up the pieces. I have anxiety now and can not handle stress due to his daily chaos he created.

    The person above asked how do you leave a sociopath....write down everything he has done to you in your relationship then go to individual counseling with your list and without your partner knowing (he will talk you out of going), tell your family and friends ask them what they think of your partner and ask them for help leaving your partner, call the domestic hotline for an "exit plan", and change your diet and start exercising.When I left I had a panic attack....this I have found to be common with someone leaving a sociopath. They have brainwashed us, gaslighted us, projected their beliefs on us. Most importantly know that the sociopath can not change!!!

    The thing that ended my relationship that day for good was my counselor had me read the book "women who love psychopaths" by Sandra Brown. The book was my relationship on paper...I still shake my head that my relationship was like every other womens who has been with a sociopath...I thought ours was so unique.

    If you are planning on divorcing plan ahead prior to filing and expect a nasty divorce from your sociopath. They will be even crazier than they were in the relationship.

    Laura thank you so much for your wonderful website!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. It is extremely difficult to find therapists who are familiar with pathology. My therapist during the time of my ex S told me she was sure that with him was the first time I had known intimacy! He fooled her second hand! I'm so glad you've escaped. Hugs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, this is all wild.
    I learned to read people a while ago, my solution to self defense, and I trust few and let few in. I've lived with every kind of mental disorder you could possibly Google - not in relationships, just as housemates. I've become a mini-profiler.
    And I spot sociopaths all the time.

    I went to a talk by the author of the Dexter series, and he's done a great deal of research on sociopaths. Apparently the latest data indicates that sociopaths make up 20% OF THE POPULATION. Most of those will not be violent or murderous, as you'd know - such people require the brain biology + extensive traumatic abuse at a young age to turn full-scale psychopathic.
    He also said that there is a lump on the brain that only sociopaths have.

    Now, those of you who keep thinking maybe your partner will change and start to feel, listen: sociopathy isn't a state of mind alone; it's a physical condition.
    They are born with an impaired ability to feel and they get a rush out of causing pain.
    Who you think you love ISN'T REALLY THERE. You're in love with a dead glass-eyed doll, a mask, a puff of smoke. They are lies made flesh. And they will devour any light inside you, empty you, and move on.
    Do not feed the animals, do not feed the sociopaths.

    Also remember that charm is not a natural feature in anyone, the same as humour.
    These are survival tactics that are developed. If someone is highly charming, it's because they've watched people closely and know how to become what they want.
    A charmer is a liar.

    You have one life, and it is short (and may be made shorter by being with a sociopathic person - there are many who are no longer alive to make their own remarks on this blog). Like a smoker kicking the habit, focus on what you have to gain by taking your strength back, not what rush and fuzzy feelings you'll lose.

    I hope you all take control and find your own salvation. At the top of the food chain the only predators left are our own kind. They don't look like monsters; they wear nice clothes, nice smiles, and will rip your soul out and gorge upon it. It's up to you to be the hero of your story and not another crushed stone in the path of a dangerously numb creature.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've posted before. Check out Beyonce's new song "Best Thing I Never Had". It will give you strength!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I find myself in a state of confusion. On one hand I realize that my relationship (that is over now) was not quite normal but to label as him with a disorder I am unsure.

    To begin it started with him being dishonest about being over an ex GF. He broke up with me the first time right before New Year's completely out of the blue. He was really cruel with some of his statements. Three weeks later we were back together. This went back and forth and he would become angry and tend to "break things". things basically went along fine...we got engaged, bought a house, but then I found out that his ex and him were at the very least having an EA.

    Denial on his part, but finally he admitted it. From here my insecurities got the best of me and I was unhappy, but I still wanted it to work.

    He would get angry, tell me to leave our home, do cruel things like name calling, hiding my wallet, taking my passport, at one point he ripped up our marriage liscense, another time he hid my dog and told me she was missing. He would say something then deny he said it.

    Yes, I became frustrated and probably hard to live with at times. He would stand in the doorway and taunt me and tell me to leave, but said if I did and I touched him he would call the police and have me arrested for assault. I did finally leave, but there was still the push and pull.

    We loved each other and he would say he wanted in to work, we would be together and any comment that he did not like, we were done again.

    This last year, we did get together and everything was always fine. I thought that maybe it would finally be okay. But he would call, say "I miss you". We would get together, it would be fine and then he would pull away again.

    But now, after we were together about a month ago, he phoned and said that he was just not that into me. He had given me many chances, and he did not want to try anymore. He says he has met someone new. He said we would never be together again.

    I realize this was unhealthy and I know my insecurities did not help, but I think he really lacked the ability to empathize. In the end he just said that he realized he has been cruel and that I was no longer the happy, loving woman he had fallen in love with.

    He is right, I feel broken.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I was in a long-distance relationship for a year with this guy who I think was a narcissist or a sociopath. It was "arranged" by our families. I'd just lost my job in advertising, and he came to visit his family. We spent a week together and he came on strong with a marriage proposal the third day he knew me and an offer to come live with him in his city. He said he loved me the sixth day he knew me.

    So for half a year, we explored cities and job opportunities. We were either going to move to one another's city, or to a third city we always wanted to live. (A lot of fantasy here.) Every time I got an interview in his city, he would make up an excuse for me to not come, sometimes rather cruel, blaming me for some little thing I did that changed something even though he was fine the day before. He wanted to come to me, he said, although those interviews never "panned out." At one point, he was even offered a job but didn't take it. In a moment of sheer stupidity, encouraged by his family, I reunited with him a few months ago, visited his city, and he asked me to move in with him, cried at the airport, and said he didn't want me to leave. Two months later, I got two interviews there. Guess what? On the day of the phone interview, he said I couldn't come because he was a "drug addict," but going to AA. He said if I came I would only "chase him with a butcher knife" and he would "move away and leave me." Then he screamed at me (this was after much encouragement to search for jobs there). This is a smart, creative, good-looking guy from a very wealthy family who's had the same job for five years. Now, everyone thinks I'm the crazy one, because I've messed up a great career because of this dude and my own idiocy. (Although I've been freelancing.) He was so great in the beginning, everything I had imagined, and I fell deeply in love with him. He was completely charming, real and passionate every time I saw him in person. Funny thing is that he always wanted my career in advertising, I make twice as much as him, and I wonder if he wasn't trying to somehow sabotage it. Maybe I'm just paranoid after being isolated (away from work, but with friends and family), and dealing with a crazy person's psyche for a year. I honestly don't know how this happened, but I'm so embarrassed. I don't know how to recover from the cognitive dissonance of (he was such a great guy/he was crazy/who was he really?/did I cause him to snap?)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Also, to add to that post, he said he wanted me to give him a chance to "get it together" so we could be together after AA. I've tried to leave multiple times and asked for no contact, but he always contacts me. Very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Above woman. No contact. It's the only thing that works. Be drastic. Change your number, block his email and snail mail (yes, it can be done). There are laws about harassment. Keep a record of everything he does. Take pictures. Eventually you will have enough evidence to report it to the police. And they will handle it. My first one kept at it for four years and three threats from the police. My second one kept at it for months despite all the measures I took. Police involvement finally stopped him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El4KWGZuw8U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have recently ended a 6+ year relationship with a woman that has NPD. The first year was heaven. After that, odd things began to happen. I was drawn into arguments that made no sense, out of nowhere. I actually started to believe that I was the cause of these problems and started to doubt myself. Often times, she would say that I had said certain things, which inside I knew I had never said, but even though, I had doubts. I had a gut feeling that she was not being true to me, yet I continued the relationship. I was in love with this woman, and I kept putting things in the back of my head, saying that I was just being paranoid.

    Over the years, I kept busy at my job, in addition to owning a business (which I allowed her to manage). There were arguments over the years, odd ball things, that seemed so trivial, yet there were enough of them, that I "learned" not to bring up certain issues, not wanting to set her off. Yes, I see this term now, walking on eggshells.

    I was a confident man, successful, street smart, great job, and owned a nice business. I allowed this woman to brainwash me...

    She was here from Poland, and needed to get her papers to be a citizen. About 5 1/2 years ago, she was set up for a marriage with a friend of the family. She got married in Florida, and then came back to NY. About a year ago, things came to a head. I lost my job, and was disgusted with the way things were going. I sold my restaurant. Less than a month later, she called me (we were not living together), she casually mentioned to me on a Tuesday night, that she had purchased a one way ticket to Florida, and she was leaving that saturday, in order to file and get her paperwork to become a legal citizen. She would be there for about 6 months in order to get things in order. She mentioned this as casual as someone saying they had an appointment for a haircut.

    We had talked in the past of us getting married, and she wanted to have a child with me. (I am older and have 2 children from a previous marriage). While I wasn't crazy about having another child, I loved her enough that I agreed we would get married, have a child together, etc. Anyway, 2 days before she was to leave, we went out for dinner/drinks. She told me that she wasn't going to Florida, that she wanted to be with me, she loves me, wants to marry me, everything that I had wanted to hear. I was relieved, and very, very happy. I had left her apartment and went home, as I had work early the next morning. (continued below)

    ReplyDelete
  48. (continued) ....

    The following evening, after work, I called her and said I would be coming by, I picked up our favorite food, grabbed a cab and made my way to her place. She called me on the phone, and started some crazy argument. I wound up so angry, I redirected the cab and went home. The next day she left for Florida. I didn't speak to her for a few days. Finally, she called me and said she missed me. We spoke every day and every night for the next month. Then the calls got less and less. I was unable to reach her all the time.

    Anyway, the next few months were hell, I could feel her lying to me as we spoke on the phone. But she lied so well, again, I doubted myself. I hired a detective in florida, and he confirmed my suspicions, she had moved in with another man. She called me one night, and I confronted her with it. At first she denied everything, but when I gave her the address she was living at and the name of the guy she was with, she confessed. The stories, the lies, according to her it was all my fault. She took a plane home a few days later. She got mutual friends involved to have me answer her calls. We met and spoke. She was so convincing that I decided to give it another shot. I was broken hearted, broken down, just broken. We tried to get things back to "normal"... they seemed good for 3 months, but then she started ingnoring my calls again. Would call me back hours later, with some lame excuse. I knew once again something wasn't right. We got into an argument, and didn't contact each other for a month. She called me out of the blue, asking how I was, wanting to get together to "talk". By this point, I had started to do some research on the internet, and was finally able to pinpoint the problem. So many people have been through this. I have never heard of NPD prior to this. Mostly all the stories I have read are so similar, it's as if I had written them. And it seems that my life with her for the past 6 years was scripted, with me playing the part of the fool.

    I stopped answering her calls, stopped replying to her text messages, and eventually I had her blocked from doing so. I deleted my email account, and have no contact with her.

    I have gone from heart broken, to pathetic, to drinking, and finally anger. I am finally getting my life together, back on track, but I prefer not to meet any women right now. I enjoy the company of my male friends, who I cut off contact with over the years. It's weird when you break up with someone and tell your friends, and they say it's about time. Why is it that they can see something is wrong, and we cannot? I don't even question why they never said anything, as I wouldn't have listened to them anyway.

    I hate her. I have never hated someone so much in my life. Actually, I have never hated anyone, but her. My wish is that she gets deported. She still has not received her citizenship after 7 months. I am hoping that they are investigating her, and that they send her back to Poland. I won't call and report her, I am counting on God to take care of the evil person.

    There is so much to say, but as I write it, I delete it. It all seems so trivial, but so much of it..... My heart goes out to all of you that have been through this type experience. Stay strong, it does get better. No contact, none whatsoever. Eventually, we will meet the right person that deserves us.

    ReplyDelete
  49. "A Little Bit Stronger" by Sara Evans.
    He appeared in person first time in 8.5 months of his attempted contacts via various other methods. I called the police. I win, again and again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  50. All these comments were so insightful and helpful. Today I just realized that I was dating a sociopath. I have been out of that relationship for about 3 1/2 months now and we were only dating for about five months (thank God not longer). I ended up breaking up with him because I found out he was lying about so much - about things he did in his past (making up past girlfriends, rumors, etc) and who he was. He acted completely differently when I wasn't around and I finally asked some of mutual friends, who confirmed that. But the thing that scared me was how he was lying to manipulate my emotions. And he did it so effortlessly and shamelessly to my face.

    When I questioned him about things that didn't line up or we disagreed on small things (like sense of humor or how to dress in church), he made me feel bad, inadequate and prude. The other scary thing was how he lied to my friends. The only people who didn't like him were my parents, and he played up the "race" card, making it seem like my parents were judgmental because of his color. He also was good at feigning being religious. In fact, I believe he used the banner of religion before to get what he wanted (For instance, as a youth leader - he's 22- he had sexual relations with one of the mothers - 41 -of a girl in his youth group). That's why he left his church. He became involved in my church and youth group and he seemed to know the right things to say and do (He was very eloquent and charismatic). But this was all an act, because he slowly dropped out of my church after we broke up.

    Whenever we would get in disagreements, I always felt like I was the one with the lower hand and he always came out on top. He always could justify everything he did wrong, or things that didn't line up and never genuinely apologized to me, even after I found out about all of his lying. He even said that I would never find another person to love. He called me two weeks after broke up and made me feel guilty for not treating him "like a human," when I was being perfectly nice to him when we saw each other. Fortunately I still had enough confidence to recognize that he was trying to play mind games.

    But it's only today that all the puzzle pieces are falling together. The past three months I have been hoping that he would change and that he was really deep down the person that I thought he was when we were together. But diagnosing him as a sociopath has actually allowed me to detach myself emotionally from him in a way that I couldn't before. And now I know that there is little hope for change and now I feel more resolve to stay far away from him. I still have to see him because we both play volleyball, so I'll be nice but I will definitely keep my distance. He actually contacted me last week to ask if we can be "close friends." But I'm no idiot.

    The sad thing is that I believe I'm the only person out of our friends who knows who he truly. He always acts so confident and he comes off as a funny, genuinely nice guy but I've gotten to see deeper down for what he truly is. And he knows this too, which is why I think he wants to be "close friends" - so he can control what I know and maybe try to dispel the facts by putting on another show.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have a hate brewing in me for my ex NPD girlfriend. It's been 6 months now since we broke up and over 2 months with no contact. I often think about how she played me for a fool, cheating on me, all the lies, the stealing, all the pain she put me through. I'm so angry, I need revenge. I need to hurt her somehow. I want to hurt her mentally and physically. I want to destroy her financially. I want her to die a long lonely death....in a room where no one knows she is, with her mind reeling from the evil that she has done to me and others. She claims to be religious and goes out of her way to attend church on sunday. If there is a God, he will put this sick, evil person where they belong, in hell, burning for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  52. What happens to these freaks as they age? I ended an insane relationship with a psychopath (probably bipolar) alcoholic back in June. I saw him for what he was - a lying manipulating con and fled. Thank God I didn't burn any bridges & had a home to come back to. He was my bf in high school and wow, the things we're saved from. There isn't a woman he's been with that he hasn't cheated on. He'd outwardly flirt with women when we'd walk through parking lots or on the street. It was totally creepy. He's 47, but looks 65 now. Horrible drunk and there's not one thing the man told me that was true - except that he'd been married 5 times. He really wanted me to be 6. I initially paid some of his bills, but quickly caught on to his bs & refused to pay more. Including his rent. He's lost everything and lives in a box of a trailer with his mommy. I found out he was cheating on me with a married woman when we first got together and another woman. Had been sleeping with an exwife 2 months before! What a sick freak. I had no idea. I'm so glad he's out of my life. I do wonder what happens to them as they age. He's no longer the good looking tall dark handsome man. He's now a skinny wrinkled old coward that smells like cigarettes and beer. I'm sure he's trying to con his next older fat granny - that's who he targets. Older women with no self esteem. I'm his age and people thought he was my dad. lol! Good riddance loser.

    ReplyDelete
  53. my Sociopath was my employer. He started, what would be called a life game, that went on for ten years.( The book games people play) We became friends over a period of time and during this time he was conning me so bad that it hard to explain. Even though he was my employer he would say that how nice it was to have me around. We ended up doing everything with each other. For a long time the employer part was even set a side. He made me feel part of his family. He would have me over for dinner and family trips. We would have fun with each other like all friends do. But at the end of the ten years, I found the evil he had been doing. He was dumping on me to clear his bad feelings. I ended up broke,manipulated, and unemployed. I ended up leaving the area because of the damage he put on my life. The pain is still with me everyday. I still can't find good employment the event was so sudden. I see that the damage was so profound, for me to ever have good employment in impossible.(This is a very short story)

    ReplyDelete
  54. I lost everything to a sociopath...He entangled my life now and forever in hell. He buried me alive in bills and tax problems. I cant work..the government will levy my wages..I tried to work under the table..he follows me and calls the authorities..I have no license because of taxes..I have four children and I am in a tailspin. Where does one go from here..and the story is worse than this little bit...

    ReplyDelete
  55. wow, reading these makes me feel I am not alone. I was "friends" or so I thought with this guy for over 3 years. He was not even my boyfriend, but acted like it with so much jealousy anytime I would date anyone else. He controlled every aspect of my life. Constantly texting and calling and manipulating me. It all started with a loan which he promised to pay me back that amount plus interest but something always came up and he needed more money to get the money to pay me back. As I trusted him and believed him, I kept giving more and more money chasing after the initial loan and ended up after 2 years depleting all my savings, maxing out my credit cards, lines of credits, and took out 3 second mortgages. I finally had enough when he attacked me. He is now in jail awaiting trial. I'm trying to get my life back to normal, but it's really hard realizing that this sick sociopath did this to me just for the hell of it after everything I did for him. I have no idea where all the money went and I'm sure I won't get any of it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, speak to a lawyer and see what you can do to get some of the money back. Be glad he is out of your life. You are a good person and he took advantage of you. NOW, that you FINALLY know what kind of person he is, get him out of your life. It is time to move on. These people are blood suckers and will drain you. Meet someone good, get him out of your mind. Plenty of good men out there.You think about him, because you dont have anyone else, and because your pride is hurt. Move on Baby......move, move on. Life didnt begin with these bastards and it isnt going to end because of them. I have suffered also, because of this type of relationship. Trust me, you will be okay, mentally & Physically when you get this boat anchor out of your life. Tell your friends and family what he did to you. don't be embarrassed. They will help you. DO IT!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE THE STRENGTH.

      Delete
    2. Your story sounds exactly like mine. I was "friends" with him for 5 years which is why I trusted him enough to loan him money. Which of course he promised to pay back within 3 months "with interest". Same thing happened... it carried on for a year with him needing more money to pay back the original amount. 6 months passed of lying and more lying before I realized something was totally off. It turned into a complete nightmare. These posts are a godsend for me. It helps so much to have a name for this and to know that others are going through the same thing with these crazies. They are the world's "best people" until you start to catch on to what is really going on.

      Delete
    3. is his name Moe by any chance??

      Delete
  56. Can a victim of a Sociopath become a Sociopath themselves due to the emotional trauma they sustained from being in a victim????

    ReplyDelete
  57. Good day/evening Ladies. I wish you well. I am a male who was married to a psychopath for twenty years and was only woken up from my psychic death by a stroke in the brain that informed me that I would physically die at the hands of this creature. I ran away, losing all material possessions including a substantial inheritance, but with what remained of my mind with me. Smelling the blood of my wounds another descended upon me and I entered a five-year "relationship" with this monster before I was saved by discovering she was having an affair. I was devastated. I will abandon for expression here my refusal to use the terminology of a victim. I experienced no less than psychic serial rape and vampirism of my emotional and spiritual energies. Due to these monster's capability of burrowing deeply into their victim's psyches my wounds are deep. Luckily I retain a sense of proportion, though only intellectually. I have been solitary for seven and a half years and counting. I resigned myself to a life and ultimate physical death of solitude. I have had no physical contact with a woman bar the hug of a friend. If I experience a chance encounter such as a woman's elbow touching mine I flich as if galvanised. The point of contact feels as if burned for a while. Ladies, I am not in very good shape as a result of being kind, giving, loving, innocent and tending to fall in love too easily. As I said I was prepared to venture forth encased in my suit of titanium when a chance remark by someone last week deeply penetrated me and awoke in me the hope of healing. Somehow this is more difficult than the resignation of emotional death. So it was that this evening I took to researching the internet on sites for healing, with the idea that one day I may, may, may, be able to allow a woman to touch me and I could perhaps feel romantic love again (luckily my capacity to love individuals has never been diminished). And so it is with shock and horror that I perceive that psychopaths in all of the sites I have visited thus far are cast as male. Female psychopaths are either "allowed" or not even considered as existing. I once believed that the female psychopath is the most dangerous creature on the planet, having in addition to the predatory skills the feminine capacity to look deeper into a person than a male can. An encounter with a male psychopath dispelled this illusion. He has exactly the same "understanding" of the internal workings of the pawns he moves about and crushes at will. As a scientist I have too determined that what makes a psychopath is that as the brain develops in the foetus so does the mind, from an avian-type structure, through reptilian (fight/flight/lust/appetite) to mammal (love, empathy, appreciation of the identity of other persons, cooperation, nurturing, ...). The psychopath's mind gets stuck at the reptilian stage and whilst the brain develops and is used as a strategic organ, the mind does not move on. So a psychopath is not human, as we should perceive and come to terms with. The psychopath is a reptile and living with one is like living with a hungry crocodile. And so it is with a feeling of deep betrayal that I read exclusively of female victims of psychopaths. Truly, ladies, it is with difficulty that I consciously inform myself that this is not a conspiracy and that women's rights organisations are not mobilisations of groups of psychic rapists, and that many women do feel vulnerable. In closing, I appeal for a cessation of this blindness. The psychopath is genderless and everyone is at risk. I urge you to warn your SONS (if you still have the capacity to love a male person) to be wary of these rapacious monsters that suck the life and love out of one. With platonic love, Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, We've all been hurt (the ones at this site anyway)....however, you sound nutty to me and I
      have a problem in reading what you wrote and
      actually believing it.

      Delete
  58. Please read the Love Fraud website. It has been a God-send to me!

    Also, please, everyone check out the two techniques: EFT and TAT. They are both on the internet, Youtube, websites, etc. They are free to download, take about 3 minutes each to learn. Use them while you are reading about sociopaths and what they have done to people. I have had no contact since June 27, 2012. In that short period of time, I can't tell you how much I have healed using these two techniques and the emotional shifts and release of pain just happen by themselves. And each time I confront an issue using EFT & TAT, it is resolved and I don't have to feel it again. Now, because of the 8 year relationship I was in with him, there are a LOT of issues, but I am taking them out, one by one. Please, I can't bear to think of others in as much pain as I was in. At least check it out. Good luck to everyone who is recovering from their relationship with a sociopath.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm trying to figure out whether my husband of 18 years is a psychopath or a sociopath.. It appears he falls in the category of being a sociopath. He is non-violent, he is a pathological liar and he makes lying so easy that it seems absolutely true. Any type of serious questions, he will not answer, rather he quibbles word to confuse the questioner to the point that the question gets lost and the topic is changed. He lacks complete remorse for anything he does wrong and does not acknowledge his wrong doing, it's always someone else's fault or it's the economic system, or the government.. He take no responsibility for nothing. His work ethic is horrible because he don't want to work. He works only one type of job and only long enough to receive unemployment.. He is extremely charming and manipulating. His words do not match his actions, ever! He pretends to love but this is only for his bazaar sexual appetite, in which his request are to degrade you, even though he proclaims it's not degrading, you just think it is. The danger of this relationship lies in mental and emotional torment. He constantly requires a person to question their own sanity.. He'll say he told you something, when he didn't or you'll catch him in one of his lies and he'll deny he ever said or did what he really did.. His selfishness is so extreme, that he acts as though he is entitled and everyone should know it! There is no love or show of concern, only false suggestions.. I just thought he didn't know how to love, he can put on a pitiful act to seem like a victim of misunderstanding, however, he is never hurt emotionally.He rarely, says he is sorry and if he does, an hour later he talks as though he never did anything wrong. I walked out of our home six and a half years ago. He never cried and as a matter of fact, I really have never seen him cry. He sat on the sofa and waved good bye and smiling.. He sent me to a mental hospital a couple times over the last 18 years. I would have severe anxiety attacks, because I knew something was wrong somewhere in my life, but I didn't know it was him. He would always say, "You are imagining things." I was always trying to believe what he said was true, but his actions were so different than what he would say. I was always confused with our conversations, as it was so hard to make sense of what he was saying and it was in and out of context. If I would not give him his sexual request, he would have a tantrum that could last for weeks even months. Once he was so upset about having his request denied, he went to the police station and made up a bogus lie and had a state officer come into my bedroom and wake me up at 2:00 AM, screaming at me for an hour about not being a good wife and thankful for all he does. He cons people into believing him and there is no defense for the innocent person. He still texts me and acts as though we are together. He has even requested me to send him nude pictures of myself and says.."even if you are with someone else, it's ok, it'll be our little secret." We have a daughter together and I can not get my phone number changed. Everything is for his own satisfaction, you are just a source for it! He is the most charming, manipulating and believable person you will ever meet, a pathological liar and has the most unique ability to make you feel sorry for him. They say they love you, but do not show it! Their eyes lack compassion and emotion, they are empty, as though someone is speaking sweet things to you with a mask on and you want so desperately to believe them, knowing all the while, their words do not line up with their actions... I have lived with a MONSTER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. o.m.g ur ex sounds just like my ex Arbes Mackey,im went threw the almost exact same thing and m still being asked for naked pics and him still trying to sucker me back in all while he lives with this odwomen Evon who he has made his new victomewhich he uses for a place to stay and convienced to buy him a snowplow and trailor for his car transport and snowplow buisness that he uses as a way to trick all of his girlfriends into beleving hes sucsessful and always busy working when hes really with one of his other women hes using for something ele..these men are great at what they do and dont care who they hurt as long as they get what they want
      ohhh and im "crazy" from what he tells everyone...he keeps all his women as far as he can and mkes them afraid of me so that i dont tell the the euth about who he is...I advise all women who come in contact with Arbes Mackey to educate there selves on sociopaths and know what ur dealing with because u will soon see hes not even close to who u think he is...Aj keeps his victomes around like there a collection but wont think twice about jumping in a new women home or bed and destroying them while he claims he loves you

      Delete
  60. Any women who meets Arbes Mackey needs to read this and educate thereselves on sociopaths and how they work
    Aj Mackey is great at what he does and will become that perfect man who will claim to love you he will sell u a deam and become who u want as he makes you his victome making you beleve everyone else is crazy and keeping you as distant as possible from all the women he has wronged and destroyed mentally,emotionally,financially,and sexually
    PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF and dont endup like me and all the others
    If you dig you will find dirt (you dont have to dig deep with this man) you will discover the imaginable if you just pay attention

    ReplyDelete
  61. I unknowingly married a sociopath in 1984, nobody would marry one if they knew what they were going to experience. In 2009 I saw the light and there was only one thing to do and that was to 'Save myself'. My daughters were 16 and 18yrs old at the time. Commitment to raising the children was part of the reason for staying in an unhealthy marriage for so long. The damage is done and I have come along way in the last few years. I did not have a career and therefore unable to support myself and daughters financially, I am spending the assets I have which will run out this year. I am studying to enable me to go onto obtaining a reasonably well paid job. I am renting a house as I do not own a home. If anyone is doing research into Victims I can help, only if you have experienced it I believe can you understand what it is like to live with a Sociopath husband for nearly 30 years. The divorce battle continues and is controlled and manipulated by my soon to be ex. The ex. is a functioning sociopath who holds down a very well paid job, however as he is 65yrs old the British Justice System feels he should not be made to work to support me or the children from the marriage because they are both over 18yrs old. My advice to all victims, forget the past, move on and be responsible for your own life. Alot of things may not feel fair but I am still optimistic about the future. Happy New Year 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow! Finally...while I have been studying the traits of a sociopath for several months, and drawing clear parallels to my ex boyfriend...I kept going back. In summary the traits included, but not limited to: severe social issues as a child, boarding school most of his childhood, enmeshed and overbearing mother, dyslexic, steals (ie diary, bank docs, photos), GPS tracking on my car, hacking my email, severe criticism and emotional abuse, preceded by going to Tiffani's and looking a rings and picking out a church w/i 2 months of meeting. I am most certain that he was diagnosed as a child and refused to share this with me.--Now it is truly over. I only arrived here after going to a few sessions of group therapy, talks with family and friends, reading, and exhaustion. It hurts oh so much...fell in love with the myth as well as his son from a previous marriage. But when my mind isnt thinking about what could have been, I'm thinking 'whew...dodged that bullet.' I'll be ok because I know God has taken me through this to make me stronger and closer to Him. And, indeed that is what has happened. The only question I have for myself...why did his family NOT warn or inform me of his sociopaty? Didnt they have a moral obligation?

    Love and blessings to all who read this.

    ReplyDelete