
I highly recommend this book for all survivors.
Excerpts:
- We have a natural tendency to accept responsibility for what happens to us because we want to believe we are always in full control of our lives. When bad things happen, rather than admit they might have occurred because of some outside, non-controllable, set of circumstances,we prefer to believe our own actions were the cause. We blame ourselves. (p. 19)
- Why not simply identify relationships such as Steve's and Ellen's as "exploitative relationships"? The answer is readily apparent: For the same reason we don't call torture a form of physical persuasion. Rape is the only word which adequately conveys the trauma experienced by the victim; one of the few words in our language, as one writer astutely observed, "with the power to summon a shared image of a horrible crime." (p. 10)
- In sexual rape the words "without consent" refer to the victim having withheld something, having not freely agreed to sex. In contrast it is the perpetrator, the rapist who withholds something in emotional rape, employing deceit to conceal his or her true motives. If sexual rape is the violation of the human body, emotional rape is the violation of the human soul. (p. 12)
- In contrast [to physical rape], almost all cases of emotional rape are perfectly legal. The emotional rapist may even be widely admired. It's a telling commentary on society's moral priorities that a person who exploits someone's affections for personal gain...might well be considered a shrewd entrepreneur rather than a villain. (p. 14)
- Victims of emotional rape can't psychologically protect themselves from feelings of isolation by attributing what happened to the abhorrent and exceptional behavior of one individual, as a victim of stranger rape might be able to do. Instead, more like the victims of date rape, they may begin to question themselves, doubting their own judgment and values. In some instances they may will be encouraged to embark on this process of self blame. (p. 15)
- Friends, family members, and even some professional counselors often make well-meaning, but potentially extremely damaging, observations; something along the lines of
or
"How did you fail to see what he/she was up to?" (p. 15)
- As a result victims of emotional rape invariably come to see themselves as responsible for what happened. The do not recognize that what happened to them was rape, rather they rationalize that it was simply and instance of personal failing. This is a destructive fallacy. (p. 15)
love and hugs, Laura

I live in Canada. I really want some help as I have, so far, survived a three year emotional rape relationship. I'm standing on my feet...but I'm wobbly. It's been about 2 months since I left the condition and my mind is heavy. I could certainly use some assistance.
ReplyDeleteLaura? Can you help me...this experience has stymied me, it has damaged me. I feel frozen in time. I don't know whom to talk to and am not in a position, because of choices I made while involved with this gentleman, to afford a counselling situation. I need someone's guidance out of this no man's land I have ended up in after this very, very difficult relationship.
ReplyDeleteBy the way Laura, I have the book Emotional Rape Syndrom and have read it from beginning to end. It was amazing in that the descriptions were so familiar they incited an emotional welling up inside of me. Getting into first geer and moving forward is my most sincere desire and I been stuck in this place I'm in now for so long, I'm afraid I won't ever move forward.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteDear nn_308... I'm glad you found this blog and even more glad you're seeking help. I am, however, not qualified to help you. I suggest finding a therapist near you and checking into www.saferelationshipsmagazine.com There you will find links to useful materials and workshops for survivors. Best wishes on your healing journey.
ReplyDeleteLaura
I hv just emergd from 1 year relationship with a narc. It was his own daughter who blew the whistle on him. She loves him but has seen the damage he does in relationships including her own mother. One puzzle. He never lied to me. He made a virtue of blunt candour. Early in r relationship he sd he was falling in love with me. But then he turned the temperature down. He wd use like instead of love and talk disparagingly about womens fantasy. Four mths into the relationship he declared unasked that he was not in love with me. He didn't think he cd do that ever again. But his actions and his cuddles gave me hope. I was desperate to get his love and put up with escalating criticism and humiliation in hope of winning declaration of love which never came. Now realise that he really ws telling the truth when he sd he cdnt love anyone. I once saw him weep profusely and I think genuinely when describing a period when he was suicidal after his wife of 25 yrs left him.
ReplyDeleteWow! Thanks for this comment. Mine was a champion of "blunt candor"... wore cruel honesty like a badge of honor. Underneath it all were many lies though. I saw mine sob too... over other women, lost wife and fantasy life, i.e. lost possessions like a child crying over a broken toy.
ReplyDeleteMy boyfriend suffered in the hands of, and is still suffering through the hands, of his narcissistic ex. I know a lot of women who also do this to their men, so please don't make this another women are victims only cause. Men suffer too, and women abuse too!
ReplyDeleteMy boyfriends ex now uses his children as a way to control and punish my ex. He has been close to suicidal many times, it's devastating, not to mention what it does to the kids!
Thank you for your blog, it's nice to see people talking about this form of abuse!
A mom.
Dear A mom,
ReplyDeleteGlad you're finding my blog useful.
My mother was an N and my boyfriend's first wife was also an N. I am well aware that women can be N's or S's. That said the fact remains that the vast majority of them are, in fact, male and I have made a conscious decision to use the male pronoun throughout. I stated in a previous post that:
"My thesis will consistently use the masculine pronoun to designate the N and the female pronoun the VoN because most N's are, in fact, male and because there is the added component of genuine male social power. I will never deny that women are N's and that they cause a great deal of destruction. But generally speaking female N behavior differs given the reality of social power, and their abuse is more often directed toward children. Therefore when talking about N romantic relationships I will generally stick to this format, but it is conscious and not accidental, just as I always use "she" as the general pronoun when writing academic papers."
Love and hugs, Laura
Hi, Im after some advice on how to deal with being emotionally raped?
ReplyDeleteMy ex best friend was the friend i had been waiting for all my life. He and i were joined at the hip inseparable we did everything together and went through so much together so many hard times in which we supported eachother and built one another up. Basically all of a sudden after a great weekend together him even saying he had a great time he sends me an email accusing me of not liking him for him and im trying to change him and that he needs to isolate hmself and another friend of ours a girl who likes him abused me saying to give the friendship up its over etc. I have never felt so hurt before like ive taken break ups better than this i feel so betrayed and violated as this person was my brother he lived in my house yet i never knew him i got no sorry nothing. It creeps me out ive had to rearnge the entire house and wash it top to bottom to remove his presence and memory i feel emotionally raped and dont know how to get closure and feel so guilty like i must have done something to cause this problem. I wish i could go back and start again i miss my brother and although he is out of my life part of me died with the friendship and i dont know what to do? Why and how did this happen one day we were goin so strong the next i get this letter. How do i heal from emotional rape and why would someone do this to someone they love and care for? I still care for him so much and that makes things so much harder.
If anyone can give some advice please that would be much appreciated.
Thankyou
I was briefly married to an N whom I believe was also a siociopath.
ReplyDeleteMy "N" could live in one moment… for a long time. He could “feed” off the torment and financial controll, jueging and and emotional abuse and emotional rape he subjected me to...or sustain anger toward me for what seemed like an eternity.
He was animal. Faceless. Infinent.
The “cycle” of his anger would lighten for a moment… I would find us a concert or plan a golf outing. I would frantically feed what I now realize was his NS and write him love letters and tape them to his mirror… I would "reset" as he demanded... and I would forgive and forget and repress that anything had ever happened. I would gain hope…I would falsely believe that he was capable of the same love that would pour out of me in spades.
But I would never get a love letter, or flowers, or a kind word, or even a sentiment of grattitude or appreciation for how hard I was trying to show him that I love him. Once the devaluaiton began...I never received any gesture of any kind that made me think he was coming even halfway toward me.. but my own love was so strong it was just enough… just enough to hope again. A day “without” anger somehow because a sign to me that things were wonderful.. when really… they were only just a little less “toxic and abusive” that day.
My ExN showered me with compliments all the time. We had an increidble sex life and we were a highly affectionate couple. Granted we were only together for a year and a half, but I felt more loved and adored throughout that time than ever before. This was balanced out by his controlling ways, his questioning me of my loyalty to him, my commitment to our reltationship. He was sleeping with two other women throughout our relationship, we worked together, and he would go to work and brag about his sexual encounters with staff at work. And there i was thinking as hard as our relationship was at times, and how irrational he was at times, he loved me and adored me as much i did him. I was clueless. I think the hardest thing for me to understand is was any of it real? Did he ever feel anything for me at all? And the answer I know is no, and that hurts me the most.
ReplyDeleteDear Anonymous,
ReplyDeleteIt was VERY real for you!!!! He felt what he is capable of feeling, which isn't at all like what you and I are capable of feeling. He felt for you similarly to how you feel for a favorite sweater or video game. It brings you pleasure until it wears out or you get bored with it or find something better. You care for it and enjoy it until then, but only as an object.
Learning to trust your own judgment again is one of the hardest parts of the journey you have in front of you. But you can do it. And there are LOTS of really good people in this world who are capable of authentic love and emotion.
hugs, Laura
Oh my GOODNESS how hard am I crying right now? I KNEW there was some basis for my feelings of being raped and violated, but I was always physically willing. When I discovered my N, I couldn't understand why I felt like that. This article helps to validate EVERY feeling, and lets me know that not only am I NOT OVERREACTING (as some people tell me...), but I'M NOT the ONLY one! Thank you so much for bringing awareness to this!
ReplyDeleteNo... you are NOT over reacting and you are NOT alone.
ReplyDeletelove and hugs, Laura
As someone who has suffered an actual rape, I find your term very offensive. Perhaps you can call it being bullied into agreeing to sex?
ReplyDeleteI authored this blog and I too was raped at the age of fourteen. As a survivor of both rape and pathological abuse (as well as physical violemce at the hamds of an alcoholic) I am more than comfortable with this term. I think we all need to respect each other's experiences since we haven't walked in the other's shoes. I hope no one has to walk in the path of any violence, physical or emotional. That is my greatest wish.
ReplyDeleteI was describing that the best way to describe the way I felt was like someone being raped, emotionally and doing a search on the internet, led to your site.
ReplyDeleteThis is all about a male Dr, who took my wife and then logged into my medical file, wrote about my medical condition in a court document, when i quit my job and said I lied about ever winning the Provincial boxing title, which I did on 2 occasions and have newspaper articles, magazines and letter from the boxing president.
First time I met this Dr, was when I took my pregnant wife to him for her 1st appointment. They started going out while I was at work and she told my father and I that he was gay.
One day, I returned home from work and found the Dr with my pregnant wife having dinner. She had cooked him some African dish.
After the child was born, she made him the godfather and had the child christened at his church. 2 months later, she brought him to a boxing event that i was in and I made sure they were removed. A few days later, she called the Police to remove me from my home because I was 'jealous' of her gay Dr friend.
She filed for divorce and years later, married the Dr.
Years went by and though I was to have the 2 children every 2 weeks, they kept them away.
In 2003, I was sent papers from their lawyer for the Dr to adopt my 2 children and for me to pay $400 a month. I disagreed and as a result, never saw my children. I began to have problems sleeping, waking up and lost interest in everything. By my 40th birthday, I received a 1 line email from my children. I was so depressed and unable to function, I quit my job with the Govt.
The Dr then filed papers in court (affidavit) listing my medical conditions and medications that I was on, adding the 'as a Dr' he knew that I was not honest. He then added that I claimed to have been Provincial Heavyweight Champion and he does not believe it (I have magazines and letter from the President of Boxing).
This Dr has had absolutely no fear. The Medical Board, for which he is a member, and has represented in court, tried to protect him, hung up the telephone and knew before I did, that he had logged into my hospital file. Eventually, he was cautioned.
I have moved away from the Province because I feel like his is after my life.
I really love your "10 ways to identify a sociopath". I've been recovering for many years now and have learned alot in so many ways. When I was an emotional basketcase I used alot of relaxation techniques, prayer and arts and crafts to take my mind off the abusive person.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad more info like this is getting out there - years ago there wasn't much and I felt really alone with it for years. Then, last 10 years or so seems like it's grown like wildfire - guess NPD is actually quite common.
Thanks for sharing, really.
Jp
I am shaking with rage at the comment posted on 12/31/10 about the lady who was actually raped.
ReplyDeleteI would just like to ask her how long it took her to realize she had been raped ?.
How many times was she made to apologies to her rapist and admit it was her fault?.
How many times was she told by her own family what a great guy her rapist was?.
How many times was she told she was over reacting?.
How many times after seeking help was she told what had just happened to her was perfectly legal?.
Though I sympathize with anyone who has been through any kind of traumatic experience I have little time for the my cat is blacker syndrome.
How many years did her rape last?.
Sometimes it has nothing to do with sex at all. I had- I thought I had - a friend & when I needed a friend more than ever, he smashed me completely to pieces.
ReplyDeleteI didn't wanted to discuss something with him- because it was personal,fresh etc, part of me thinking "the least said about it the better". He completely went for it/me (I felt completely overruled)& started playing games, tons of useless advice & telling me how I had to play "the game", making some very inappropriate, confusing jokes (insulting me that I couldn't even get a joke etc).
3 months later: I passed by again(after spending 3 months on my own, except 4 work&kid) Everything I mention the first 30 minutes is disapproved- literally nodding NO on any subject I brought up..... I gave up. If I say I'm ok, I'm not even believed....
The list of confusions& contradictions is a lot longer, but I find it hard to get so little understanding from a friend for 10 years whom I've always been a friend to, through tick & thin, listening, understanding, patient, accepting..
The moment I'm having a though time he uses the situation to impose himself (uninvited)& his values & be negative about everything I am. For me it felt as if every value I held was negatif& used against me.
After every evening the comment "but it's time to heal..." Excuses me!!! Friends can be great healers, or not, their choice
I found it very cheap all together& I find it very hard to open up& let people close into my life since then. Motto now: In times of need you'll get to know your friends and sometimes your in for a nasty surprise.
2 years on I 'm getting there, but I will never be the same!
I met my sociopath 15yrs ago. The relationship only lasted 3 months but in that short time he had promised me the world. The problem was the entire time he was stalking his ex, he had an accomplice that apparently he had promised the world too also. He eventually stole my gun and planned to frame me for the murder. I was able to turn state's evidence and he took a plea deal. This past December he was released from jail and because I had buried my emotions for 15yrs, everything began to come out. I went thru 2yrs of counseling for PTSD but I can see now I turned my pain into focusing on keep this monster in jail instead of dealing with my role as a victim. I felt I had put myself in the situation and even though I had seen signs, he manipulated me and I stuck around. I met a great guy this summer but quickly realized I am unable to love. Immediately when a guy talks of future or says he loves me, I become paralyzed with fear so I've sabotaged every relationship since this happened. I read Dr. Fox book and it was nice to finally be able to know someone understands my pain and that it's not just about "letting it go and putting it in the past" as I've been told for years. Started counseling again and trying EMRD therapy for the trauma of it all. Really trying to stay hopeful things will get better. Thanks for posting the blog...I hate that others are here but it's really great not to feel completely alone.
ReplyDeleteUntil tonight I didn't know that the words I told someone today..."I feel as if I've been emotionally raped" was true. I didn't know emotional rape was a thing that existed. I have never been raped in anyway in my life, though I did go through childhood abuse. I thought I had mostly healed from all the residue. Now I find myself right back in the pain and rage, and helplessness, and fear that I felt then. I have more of a voice now than I did when I was a child. I just don't know who to talk to who would know something about this and would help me see through this.
ReplyDeleteAs a victim of a psychopath, the book "The Emotional Rape Syndrome" was exactly what I needed. It was right-on, it was validating, and most of all, it was filled with ways to heal the harm inside of me... and to move on to trusting and loving again someday...in due time, when I'm ready.
ReplyDelete