March 16, 2010

Help for "Co-parenting" with a Sociopath - Another great lovefraud. com article

This article gives great advice and suggestions for how to establish and maintain no contact with your ex-NS should It still have legal rights to your child.

Love and hugs, Laura

6 comments:

  1. Martin, What your describing sounds like a normal-couple situation. Without knowing you or your ex there's no way to glean who is the NSP here. This is one of the difficulties a Normal has in custody battles. Pathologicals are notoriously good at fooling everyone, including the courts. This isn't simply a matter of "needing to part ways". It's MUCH MUCH deeper than that. My ex psychopath looks like a fabulous parent on the surface. It's the damage he causes beneath the surface that is so destructive and his ex-wife (who shares his son) is constantly exhausted from dealing with it. I could also talk volumes about what's happening (and will happen) to their son. Again, we're not talking about the separation of two normal people. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a comment to acknowledge what Laura continually emphasizes. The damage that is being done to a child with long term exposure to a Narcissist is unbelievable. Children do not have the proper coping mechanisms that parents do (or should). Every day those repeated negative comments and attitudes are heard, then absorbed and then “stuffed” or repressed. Just because the other parent can cope with it and the child appears to be coping…it is all being absorbed by the child.
    I am not speaking from an educational background or from any expertise on raising a child. I am speaking as a result from being raised by a narcissistic parent and putting myself through hell for 10yrs with a sociopath. I am now and Adult, made it though college, hold down a good management position and appear well adjusted and happy by co-workers and family. If I keep my mind on Neutral topics, or day to day issues and events I function and feel alright but...my emotions are and have been completely out of balance for a lack of a better term. When you realize that the word
    Pathetic holds the same emotional value as does the words Good Morning ..your in trouble. I think(I’m not speaking for you) this is a small example of what Laura is describing as the damage being done under the surface. The child does not choose, the parent does… (mine did). The path that the child takes later in life may be the path you lead them on.
    Keep those topics coming Laura.
    Thanks again.
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear P. You are speaking (with eloquence and grace!) for all of us. Thank you so very very much! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, every day that goes by the happier I am that Earl and I never had children. But I grieve for all those people who do have to live with the long term aftermath of life with an N. I'm so glad you shared this article Laura, and love your ongoing dedication to helping other people grow and survive.

    P, oh dear do I understand what you're saying. I too was abused as a child, but the scars and lessons didn't touch my life until long after I'd married Earl. Earl and his mother for certain were ... not very nice? Laura knows my story so I'm not going to pour it all out again.

    I'm still in recovery, working hard on healing and growth, taking what I can of my life back without falling into the same patterns that got me in so much trouble. But you are right, the lasting damage of growing up with a psychopath is so hard. I wish no children had to deal with that, and think the family wizard is brilliant, and I hope more parents learn the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the detachment is physically complete with a N there is the nagging abyss of was that all for nothing? It's a terrible loss and there is nowhere to go with that loss. It's static. It doesn't evolve into lost love. It just remains as a loss.
    Grieving a N is a burden, it's a hole in one's life.
    The above is taken from Nicky's entry to the left and the bottom of this page.
    It struck a chord with me as it's so accurate in that I feel exactly this way, even after 9 years of being free. I harbour strong resentment to this day and will be so relieved when it's finally gone, if it ever is.
    Tulip

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I was doing some research and I stumpled across this page. I have been dealing with this from my ex-for some time and it wasn't until i took a psychology class this semester that i relaized i am a victim and it has a name (Narcisstic behavior). In the relationship i was feeling sorry for him because of his childhood, now 3 years later and a 1 year old child later i realize it's not me he has a problem. Now we have a child involved and i'm hiop to his game, he no longer can put the whool over my eyes but he uses our child as a pawn sayin i won't let him see his child, which is a lie..caus eeverytime he sees his child it's more about what i'm not doing and things he says towards me personally (pure manipulation). So i've gotten to the point i can't deal and i've brought it to his attention, that he may have a problem and may need parenting classes if he wants to continue to see his son, becuase i refuse to raise a child under these behavior standards, it's bad enough that i gotta deal with him. But all of a sudden i'm all these B words, ok where did that come from denial I say. So at the end of the day, I'm grateful for this site, and i'm grateful that I was able to share with someone what I thought all along was me and it' wasn't. The next step I guess is knowing how to deal with a narcassitic behavior co-parent.

    ReplyDelete