I am currently attending a retreat for survivors of a pathological relationship given by Sandra Brown entitled Healing the Aftermath of Pathological Love Relationships. Sandra is a cutting edge leader working on helping survivors of psychopathic love relationships. She is the author of several books including, Women Who Love Psychopaths - Inside Relationships of Inevitable Harm. Attending this workshop is a gift I wish all survivors could receive. Today was the first day of the five day retreat. Although I was going to wait until after the entire event was over to blog about it I decided to write this post in advance while it's still fresh in my mind. I'm emotionally drained and very tired, so I don't plan on editing this. My apologies for typos or lack of clarity in this post....Robert Hare is well known in the field of psychology as the leading expert on psychopathy who developed the first standardized test for psychopathy. His work has been primarily with convicted criminals, but the test has proven to be accurate in measuring psychopaths who remain under the legal radar. His tests include a psychopathy checklist test for those involved with psychopaths. This makes perfect sense since accurately testing psychopaths themselves is virtually impossible since part of psychopathy is pathological lying.
From Wickipedia:
PCL-R Model of psychopathy
The PCL-R is a clinical rating scale (rated by a psychologist or other professional) of 20 items. Each of the items in the PCL-R is scored on a three-point scale according to specific criteria through file information and a semi-structured interview. A value of 0 is assigned if the item does not apply, 1 if it applies somewhat, and 2 if it fully applies. In addition to lifestyle and criminal behavior the checklist assesses glib and superficial charm, grandiosity, need for stimulation, pathological lying, conning and manipulating, lack of remorse, callousness, poor behavioral controls, impulsivity, irresponsibility, failure to accept responsibility for one's own actions and so forth. The scores are used to predict risk for criminal re-offence and probability of rehabilitation.
The current edition of the PCL-R officially lists four factors (1.a, 1.b, 2.a, and 2.b), which summarize the 20 assessed areas via factor analysis. The previous edition of the PCL-R[4] listed two factors. Factor 1 is labelled "selfish, callous and remorseless use of others". Factor 2 is labelled as "chronically unstable, antisocial and socially deviant lifestyle". There is a high risk of recidivism and currently small likelihood of rehabilitation for those who are labelled as having "psychopathy" on the basis of the PCL-R ratings in the manual for the test, although treatment research is ongoing.
PCL-R Factors 1a and 1b are correlated with narcissistic personality disorder and histrionic personality disorder. It is associated with extroversion and positive affect. Factor 1, the so-called core personality traits of psychopathy, may even be beneficial for the psychopath (in terms of nondeviant social functioning).
PCL-R Factor 2a and 2b are particularly strongly correlated to antisocial personality disorder and criminality and is associated with reactive anger, criminality, and impulsive violence. The target group for the PCL-R is convicted criminals. The quality of ratings may depend on how much background information is available and whether the person rated is honest and forthright.
I have known about this test for some time, but have (subconsciously) avoided taking it. Last night when Sandra announced we would be taking it, my first reaction was to fear that It would rate below the cut off level for psychopathy. This is a normal reaction given the nature of pathological abuse and victims' proclivity toward minimizing their abusers behavior and even though I am aware of that reality still wondered how It would "measure up."After listening to the introduction stories of the four fellow travelers who are also retreating I was fairly sure It would fall below the men that these women were describing. I decided that I would approach the test as openly and objectively as I could, not awarding It any leniency based on the "good" times nor condemning it unfairly. After all, I really want to know what the hell happened to me and this is a useful tool.
Surprising to me -- but not to anyone else I know -- It not only tested fairly high on scale, but was higher than my fellow traveler's pathologicals with a 49 out of 60 (30 being the cut-off.)
This knowledge is both validating and unsettling. It seems that even with all of the research I've done and distance I've gained I am still minimizing It's pathology and what happened to me. This test validated my experience in a very tangible way. But it also made me even more grateful than ever that I was able to escape as quickly as I did. This man IS dangerous. VERY dangerous. For whatever reasons it may not be acting out now, but it is capable of so much more than even the unspeakable damage it has already done to those around It.
One thing is a given, It is, by definition, incapable of changing or even improving. It will continue to damage and destroy all who come in close contact with it. Knowing that someone is a psychopath isn't enough. Case in point - Hare, like other mental health professionals, was consistently taken in by his inmate patients knowing full well who he was dealing with. No one is immune... the only real safety is in NO contact. I pray for the safety of all those who come in contact with It.
Love and hugs, Laura

After talking to you tonight I did two things. One I started looking for the checklist, and two I started watching "I Psychopath." Looking for the checklist because you had me very curious, and watching because as we were talking I realized that I could because I had broadband now.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't find the checklist, but what I did find chilled me deeply. Much the same way my journey toward surviving began with finding myself in several checklists for abused women, what I could find of the PCL-R showed me a picture of the man I stayed with for eight years. I'm both frightened by what Earl's possible score could be, I'm oddly drawn to what I might find.
Then again I'm seeing the woman I used to be in Lydia, the Psychopath's wife. I too lived for years in denial, settling for a life of violence and abuse for no real reason that I can see now. I have had people say "I don't know why or how anyone could stay for so long." I'm no closer to really truly understanding that now than when this madness all started. And I'm also seeing a chilling echo of Earl in the Psychopath.
I still feel more like empathy, especially the way it works for me, is more curse than gift. Then again as you pointed out, I'm still grieving for the world I lost. You're right, the scope of this is bigger than I'd thought it was. Duck and cover indeed.
Thank you for sharing this Laura, you're awesome and amazing.
Hi Sam, Yes I searched the checklist and learned that it is very expensive and very copyrighted so I decided not to post it; as much as I want to.
ReplyDeleteAssuming your curiousness is similar to mine it is a curious curiousness ;) It's both a morbid curiosity riddled with fear and a desire to be validated in a "scientific" way. My results proved to trigger both curiosities as you know.
If you haven't read Sandra's book(s), especially the new "Women Who Love Psychopaths" (the old was good, but this one sounds much better) please do. It is the best explanation of why Lydia is the way she is and why we identify with her so easily.
I guess the question is, whether or not she needs to grieve the Scarecrow, should Dorothy miss Oz?
Also check out the new article on lovefraud.com by Kathleen Hawk on compassion. Recovery IS a process of growth.
My friend Ty told me she's starting to hear bits of "me" again. Coming from her that means more than I can express. Perhaps a glued back together me will still be recognizable. :)
love you Sam.
I posted this under the wrong entry I meant to post it here.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everything is going well for you there Laura, even though it's exhausting emotionally. I too know how extremely dangerous these creatures walking our earth are and that they suck the very life out of others. I too ask the Universe every day to stop the "n" I knew, however it saw fit...stop him from doing this to another woman ever for all his life. How that could manifest itself is beyond my own imagination but I continue to have faith in the Universe that it would be right to save so many potential victims.
Keep on truckin Laura...you have a most incredible opportunity there to continue learning how to heal completely and reclaim all that you are and push forward to all you can be.
I'm hoping you will teach the rest of us a little too.
Hugs 'n Love,
Heather
Evil. I struggle with accepting that anyone could be intentionally evil although I experienced it firsthand. Made me an ideal target. Still cleaning up the huge extensive wreckage. Wonder if there is enough of ME left to rebuild my life from scratch after 30 years of stealth warfare.
ReplyDeleteHope is elusive.
That others survived and left me a trail of breadcrumbs is all that keeps me going somedays.
Thanks.